Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not recognizing someone, has this happened to others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not recognizing someone, has this happened to others?

I have worked in the same place for 7 years now and with this girl Mindy for those entire 7 years. I talk to her all the time.
    Last week at work I was at my machine and she was at another machine and I looked over at her and thought "I wonder what April is doing here"...This April works on a totally different shift. I kept looking at her because I knew she wasn't April either...but I couldn't place who she was.
    It lasted for about 2 minutes and I was even thinking about walking over and asking "April" why she was at work at that time. I am so glad I didn't...it finally came to me and I recognized her as Mindy...It was just like she was a stranger and I had no clue really WHO she was.
    This has scared the crap out of me and has had me worrying terribly.
    DX 10/26/11

I've seen students who were currently in my class in a store or doctor's office and though I knew they looked familiar, I couldn't remember who they were or where I knew them from. I've forgotten the name of people I work with. And I once forgot my own husband's name.

Stuff like that scares me. My mom was diagnosed with dementia, and before she passed away, she forgot who I was. I don't want to end up like that!

I know how scary it can be. But try not to worry. Sometimes stress can cause temporary memory lapses.

Hugs,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

You know. If that's a symptom of MS, then I've had it for years and years. I can remember back to 2003, introducing myself to someone for the 4th time.

Comment

LOL BigA....yes I have a hard time with that too.
        This was just different, it is hard to describe what I was thinking and feeling as it was happening. It was just kind of unreal and I just stared at her trying to figure out if she were "April" yet knowing she wasn't.
        Maybe my mind was just somewhere else at the time, but it has just never happened before.
        I think I may worry about the memory and cog issues far too much, as that is the symptom that is upsetting me the most through all of this.
        DX 10/26/11

Comment

That said, it's probably something that happens to other people who don't have MS. It's worth noting if it continues/gets worse and to notify your neuro.

I just read a post about someone with a numb toe, wondering if it was significant. It *can* be, but truth is, lost of people have toes which go numb for a while, so it doesn't *have* to be the MS.

So just keep a watch on it.

Comment

Thank you BigA. I do try not to think "OMG, this has got to be my MS acting up!!" every time something different happens with my body.
            My right foot has been numb for months...but I do believe I must have a pinched nerve somewhere making it do this. I almost fell down my stairs a couple of weeks ago, that was my own stupidity and had nothing to do with MS. I do know not all of my issues are from MS, some things just happen for some God only knows reason. I am a natural blonde and I definitely show that sometimes...lol...no offense to blondes but that excuse has worked for me a time or two...lol
            DX 10/26/11

Comment

Ugh, I know the feeling. But my "episode" was not with people.

I was at work (before I got fired ) and the door to the break room has a code you have to enter to get in. I did the code, ran in, came out and then a patient asked for a spoon as well so I went to go back in and could NOT remember the code! I remembered that it was the address of my work place, but for the life of me I could NOT figure it out. I had done it TWO SECONDS EARLIER! I had to go ASK somebody what it was! I've known that code for 3 years and in a matter of TWO seconds, forgot it. It scared me to DEATH. (This was right before my DX.)

Pretty sure it's a normal MS thing.... losing your mind and stuff.
              Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Comment

This happens to me on occasion too, but usually involving things like dates. As in, I have been known to completely space not only on when my children's birthdays are, but my own.

There's nothing quite as embarrassing as having someone ask your birthday, and it takes you 2-5 minutes to remember what it was.

Then there was the other night. My cousin amber called me... and I couldn't remember WHO was on the phone. I had to fake it for a little while until my memory jogged. I haven't felt that stupid in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by shutterbug518 View Post
                  Ugh, I know the feeling. But my "episode" was not with people.

I was at work (before I got fired ) and the door to the break room has a code you have to enter to get in. I did the code, ran in, came out and then a patient asked for a spoon as well so I went to go back in and could NOT remember the code! I remembered that it was the address of my work place, but for the life of me I could NOT figure it out. I had done it TWO SECONDS EARLIER! I had to go ASK somebody what it was! I've known that code for 3 years and in a matter of TWO seconds, forgot it. It scared me to DEATH. (This was right before my DX.)

Pretty sure it's a normal MS thing.... losing your mind and stuff.
                  I've done that too. Usually, I can recall it, but it takes a mental lifetime. Interestingly, since my attack, I remember the combination to my locker visually instead of remembering the sound of the numbers, I remember what they look like. If you asked me what the combo was, I'd have to move the dial around in my head and read the numbers. It never used to be like that. It's not bad. I assume my brain is compensating.

Comment

Just the opposite for me---there was a period i kept recognizing people i didn't know. then i was so skittish about saying hi to anyone i told my friends they would have to say hi first or i would not acknowledge them. i wasn't going to keep going up to strangers and treating them like i know them....its a problem with 1 part of the brain. I'm looking it up, you must have activity going on there.

Temporal Lobe---Difficulty in recognizing faces (Prosopagnosia).
                    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

opps i forgot the site

http://www.friendswithms.com/brain_f...ns_and_map.htm
                      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

You are not alone.
                        i have had the same problem at work.

Comment

Ditto

I am a Special Ed. teacher, intermediate school, and I teach one class with 36 students in it and support for the rest of the day. I support students that are on my caseload and help the teachers also. I only have 15 students on my caseload, see them everyday in homeroom and can't remember their names. Just call me Charly Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
                            Just the opposite for me---there was a period i kept recognizing people i didn't know. then i was so skittish about saying hi to anyone i told my friends they would have to say hi first or i would not acknowledge them. i wasn't going to keep going up to strangers and treating them like i know them....its a problem with 1 part of the brain. I'm looking it up, you must have activity going on there.

Temporal Lobe---Difficulty in recognizing faces (Prosopagnosia).

Sorry, what was your name again? I really can't remember how long I've had difficulty with names and faces. Interestingly, I have noticed I can remember women's faces more than Men's. Perhaps because my second brain is helping

Comment

Working...
                            X