Vision problems with near vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vision problems with near vision

My near vision has been getting very blurry after being on the computer or reading for a short period of time.

I wear bifocals and lenses for distance vision for my left eye (minor correct for distance for my right eye after cataract surgery), but even with my bifocals, my vision starts blurring and I get to where I can do any up-close work. I have to focus on something in the distance for awhile to counteract the problem.

Before my cataract surgery a few months ago, I noticed the same thing would happen if I was playing games on my cell phone.

My problem is, I'm a college instructor, so a lot of my work is on the computer. I have to be able to focus my near vision for long periods of time. Even looking up and refocusing on distance for a bit doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to help get my near-vision to work longer?
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

The Only Reason I haven't Stomped my Foot and Cancelled All My Doctor's Appts

Shashi - I can totally relate to the vision issues. If it weren't my vision being affected, I would be long gone. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten conclusive answers.

My symptoms started with not being able to focus close up so I figured I needed reading glasses and bought 3 different pair until I figured out that that wasn't the problem. Next I realized that I was having problems with what I now know is my visual contrast sensitivity. That became obvious when my sister's gray kitten walked down a dimly lit hallway and disappeared one foot in. Any glare or not great lightening makes it very hard to read at all. At that point I went to the ophthalmologist and found out more good news. With my glasses on (my distance is bad, but correctable) my left eye doesn't focus at all; without my glasses my left eye focuses barely. My color vision in the blue range is diminished. The blind spot in both eyes is enlarged and lower left corner of vision is diminished. My depth perception is off and at night lights look like big starbursts. I know I just turned fifty but this is ridiculous.

The pressure in my eyes is a little high so they are going to start treating me for Glaucoma, though the Dr says that does not account for all the problems. I have had 2 very different opinions by radiologists regarding my MRIs and the physical exams of my eyes showed no physical problems.

Next step is new Neuro (2nd opinion after 1st Neuro was dismissive, attribute symptoms to, you guessed it, anxiety and didn't even refer me to an Ophthalmologist) and then to the Neuro-Ophthalmologist at Yale New Haven.

My current Ophthalmologist has put Lyme back on table even though I have tested negative more than once. New blood work is being done by a company that specializes in testing for Lyme. It can't hurt, especially since I live in CT, world capital of Lyme disease.

I am not sure if that helped at all but I will definitely let you know if I find anything out.

Oh yeah, sometimes if I dare try to read the lines move up and down ever so slightly. Not being able to read is making me very sad, I think I came out of the womb with a book in my hands
    M.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by maitrimama View Post
      Shashi - I can totally relate to the vision issues. If it weren't my vision being affected, I would be long gone. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten conclusive answers.

My symptoms started with not being able to focus close up so I figured I needed reading glasses and bought 3 different pair until I figured out that that wasn't the problem. Next I realized that I was having problems with what I now know is my visual contrast sensitivity. That became obvious when my sister's gray kitten walked down a dimly lit hallway and disappeared one foot in. Any glare or not great lightening makes it very hard to read at all. At that point I went to the ophthalmologist and found out more good news. With my glasses on (my distance is bad, but correctable) my left eye doesn't focus at all; without my glasses my left eye focuses barely. My color vision in the blue range is diminished. The blind spot in both eyes is enlarged and lower left corner of vision is diminished. My depth perception is off and at night lights look like big starbursts. I know I just turned fifty but this is ridiculous.

The pressure in my eyes is a little high so they are going to start treating me for Glaucoma, though the Dr says that does not account for all the problems. I have had 2 very different opinions by radiologists regarding my MRIs and the physical exams of my eyes showed no physical problems.

Next step is new Neuro (2nd opinion after 1st Neuro was dismissive, attribute symptoms to, you guessed it, anxiety and didn't even refer me to an Ophthalmologist) and then to the Neuro-Ophthalmologist at Yale New Haven.

My current Ophthalmologist has put Lyme back on table even though I have tested negative more than once. New blood work is being done by a company that specializes in testing for Lyme. It can't hurt, especially since I live in CT, world capital of Lyme disease.

I am not sure if that helped at all but I will definitely let you know if I find anything out.

Oh yeah, sometimes if I dare try to read the lines move up and down ever so slightly. Not being able to read is making me very sad, I think I came out of the womb with a book in my hands
      Iam 42 and at 38 the eye doc-in-the box mentioned glaucoma testing. Than a few weeks ago went to lens crafters for new rx for contacts and the eye doc(good friend of mine) mentioned the glaucoma thing but said something bout optic nerve cupping and it probably being related to ms or sumthing like that.

I have also been having weird things with my vision. Contacts/glasses since 7th grade,and I havve noticed when I wake up,without contacts or glasses on,I can't tell a difference. Do you know what I mean? I used to fall asleep with my glasses on because I hated to not see than first thing I did was put my contacts in. Now I wake up,and I don't rush to put contacts in to start the day cuz I kinda cant tell a difference? I dont know if that makes sense. Maybe Im just depressed and don't care. I hate MS.

Comment

Working...
      X