Weird smells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird smells

Lately I have been smelling cigarette smoke at night. It is really strong and I am having a hard time sleeping. Neither me nor my husband smokes, so I don't know where this smell is coming from.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Once when getting out of the shower, I swear I smelled toast! No one home but me- thought I was losing it! I have read of others that have had the "weird smell" thing also

Comment

first, i must say i am not diagnosed with ms or anything else as of yet

but yes, once i strongly could smell baby powder in the living room just out of nowhere

Comment

I often experience weird smells. Usually it smells like something is on fire. If I smell cigarette smoke I know it is my dad coming to visit. He passed away 8 years ago.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
        Babe Ruth

Comment

October of last year, I smelled a very strong smell of wood smoke for about two weeks. I thought at first it was just folks cranking up their fireplaces, but no one else could smell it. I finally really realized it was just me when I had an MRI and smelled the wood smoke in the MRI machine too.

Also, one night a few months ago, I suddenly smelled a very strong smell of a flowery-type perfume in my kitchen. It was like someone had sprayed it right in my face. It lasted about five minutes, then suddenly just disappeared. Weird!
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I smell smoke quite often...It drives me crazy because of course then I have to make my rounds around the house to make sure there is no fire...
            DX 10/26/11

Comment

The neuro I saw at Johns Hopkins referred to them as phantom smells. I smell literally the weirdest things. Some days it'll be popcorn another day it'll smell like baked potatos. The other day I came home and my house smelled like baby powder. There is no babies or baby powder in my house and my fiance didn't smell it at all. Of course there is never a source for any of the weird things I smell so I guess it's all in my head.

Comment

Smell

I wonder if you have any cavities? It could be a loose cavity? I have some fake teeth and decay can build up and it will let loose once in awhile. When it does, the smell is not roses.
                Sorry for the bad smell.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. At least I know now that I'm not going crazy, like my husband suggested.

Comment

Okay so I am the 3rd person on this thread to have smelt baby powder! I have no children. Odd.

Comment

Strokes & Aneurysm

I have read several articles where people who have had strokes or similar have had a strong sensation of smelling things that were not there as a precursor to their event.

Something stimulating the olifactory (12th nerve) possibly.

Comment

I had this happen yesterday.I smelled really strong pool water chlorine.

Comment

Originally posted by billiejeane View Post
                          Okay so I am the 3rd person on this thread to have smelt baby powder! I have no children. Odd.
                          i didn't mention that i also do not have any kids...very interesting!...anyone else smelling baby powder?

Comment

I had three people at work last night think I was completely crazy because the room we were working in smelled like bacon to me....lol
                            DX 10/26/11

Comment

I have gone through months of smelling peculiar odors that I can't even identify. After a month or two it will go away and I'll smell a different odor. It's with me 24/7 no matter where I am or what I'm wearing. I chalked it up to an olfactory nerve.

Dx RRMS

Comment

Working...
                              X