This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, happy Friday

I'm a newbie here, and stumbled on this thread while searching for info on supplements. It's been eye-opening to read of all your experiences!

First of all I want to thank all of you for sharing. Even more so when I see the daily pain, frustration and anxiety that many of you are dealing with. You are truly a remarkable group of people.

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with RRMS - she became symptomatic in July and had her diagnosis by the end of August. I see now that it's rare to be diagnosed so quickly. Her symptoms started with optic neuritis and progressed to difficulty walking and extreme fatigue. Her docs were quick to order an MRI which revealed a "constellation" of lesions on her brain.

I began having strange symptoms myself in March - pins-and-needles in my hands, feet and legs, strange sensations on my body. I ascribed it to problems with aging discs (I'm 48). I also had occasional difficulty reading and speaking, blurry vision, dropping tools, weakness in my hands. So I scheduled a visit with my primary care physician in July. He in turn referred me to a neurologist, after two comprehensive blood panels didn't show anything out of the ordinary.

By that time (September) I was having occasional trouble swallowing, would have pins-and-needles on my face, in my mouth and around my eyes, would have wet or burning sensations, feeling like I had cuts or burns on my body, crawling sensations. I was definitely concerned. The neurologist brought up MS or the possibility of a cyst in my brain (I had one removed 30 years ago).

Four MRIs (two with contrast, two without) showed no new cysts, no bulging or herniated discs and no lesions. So the neurologist told me it's probably stress and suggested we follow up next year. But having done my research (knowledge is the cure for panic!) I'm not comfortable with that approach. I feel that the neurologist needs to work a little harder, at least begin a differential diagnosis.

I see my PCP again next week to discuss the situation and to get a referral for a second neurologist. I don't want to let it go, since last week I haven't been sleeping much due to burning pain on my face and limbs - sometimes it pops up in various spots on my body for a few seconds here or there but lasts for hours; last night it was the right side of my face and it lasted about twelve hours. I am exhausted from lack of sleep.

But based on what I've read here in this thread and in the PPMS forum threads, I've begun a daily journal of symptoms and I know that I must be persistent to track down what's wrong, whether it's MS, stress or something else. Waiting is not on the agenda for me - I have a lot of people to take care of and being sick is not an option.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experiences. For me at least you've removed some of the uncertainty about what to do next.

I wish you all well!

Comment

Hey, jsage-- welcome!

The weekly "Limbo Land" thread is truly a great place for those of us dealing with undiagnosed neurological issues to get together to discuss our experiences and vent our frustrations and share our happy moments in an atmosphere that is supportive and non-judgmental. I've found these threads especially helpful for getting an idea of what procedures might be like and learning about others' adventures in the wonderful world of diagnostics.

Each week on Tuesday, our fearless leader, Minivanmama, posts a new Limbo Land thread. You posted in last week's thread, but this week's thread is available here:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116009

The discussion goes in different directions each week, depending on our current experiences, so you're likely to learn something new each time you check in. So, I encourage you to hop on over to this week's thread, linked above, and introduce yourself. More people are checking on that thread because it's the current one.

I'm sorry you're dealing with health issues, but you've come to the right place for information and support. Personally, Limbo Land sometimes helps me get through the week with my sanity intact.

Comment

Originally posted by derrie View Post
        Hey, jsage-- welcome!
        Derrie, thanks for the welcome

It figures I posted in the wrong thread - I got here through search results and not through the front door. I'll say "hi" in this week's thread.

Have a great day!

Comment

Working...
        X