Headache that is not MS related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headache that is not MS related?

Twice over the past two months I've had a headache so severe that it actually woke me up in the middle of the night. This is no easy task since I take a sleeping pill and Tizanadine to help me sleep.

Yesterday morning I had one that woke me around 3 am and I had to get up and take some Advil first and then I tried Excedrin. Neither helped. I could not lay back down in bed. If I bent over or tried to lay my head down the pain was MUCH worse. It was a terrible throbbing pain. Nothing like any other headaches I've had including migraines. Laying my head down on the left side was horrific.

After several hours I gave in and took some old Lortab I had from over a year ago (yes I know it's a bad idea to take expired meds). It actually put a dent in the pain and I was able to at least get around a bit during the day. It stayed at a dull throbbing primarily in my right temple area. When it was at it's worst it felt like it covered the whole front of my head.

I called and spoke with my neurologist and she went through a litany of questions with me and I answered no to all of them. (head injury? stuffy or runny nose? earache?neck pain? etc.) She said the good news is that it is not my MS. (which also sounds a little like bad news if you ask me!) And she refilled my Lortab prescription. I took two last night with my other meds and was able to finally lay down around midnight. When I woke up this morning I still had the headache but today it was controllable alternating Advil and Excedrin every few hours.

She told me to call her if it got worse or didn't go away. (I left her a message that it was better but not gone.)

This is the longest this has ever lasted and they're getting much more painful each time. If it's not my MS then what the heck is going on??

(and Googling it sure didn't put my mind at ease!!)

Originally posted by Elise1114 View Post
    If it's not my MS then what the heck is going on??
    Hi Elise:
    There are more than 100 different types of headaches (WebMD says 150). A new onset of severe headaches calls for a medical workup. That isn't something that can be done over the phone. Your neuro will have to examine you in the office. If she doesn't follow through, you might try working with your PCP for a workup or referral to a different neurologist who will do a good headache workup.

Comment

As stated above you need a workup. I suffer from migraines that come twice a month. One during ovulation and one again during menstruation. There is help! I would start with your pcp. They should be versed on the types of migraines and headaches and how to help. You do need to take these serious! I don't recommend waiting until your next one.

Comment

Working...
      X