Exacerbation galore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exacerbation galore

Over the course of 3 weeks I had numbness in 2 toes that turned into burning and numbness on top of my feet and gradually over the coarse of days, up my legs to my knees then just past my knees, up my thighs and as far as my hips. Started on my shoulders, across my back and then across my front and down both arms. And then one night within 40 minutes I couldn't talk, stand up, move my arms, my vision looked like there was a screen across the top of my eyes, electric jolts inside from my back, across both shoulders and down both arms to my hands. The skin felt like I had frostbite and burning at the same time. Then it turned from burning numbness to burning weakness. Literally, jaw-dropping weakness. My jaw dropped open and my tongue hung out. And of coarse--the MS Hug started in. Then some jolts in my stomach causing me to twitch. Neuro ordered steroids immediately. Hubby carried me to the car and off we went to get steroids. Guess this was an exacerbation! I don't like this. Wondering now what's going to happen when I stop taking the steroids. Can anyone clue me in?

The steroids don't mask the symptoms, they reduce the inflammation that's hopefully causing the majority of your issues. You should begin to feel better quickly and then regain function over time. You may or may not be left with residual symptoms, but should have some to a lot of recovery. Be patient and get some rest. And Rest. And Rest. Remember that even one year later, you can still be healing.

are you on a DMD? Oh yes, and get tested for vitaminD levels. Exacerbations happen more often when our levels are low.

You will feel better.

Comment

shiela,
      bless your !
      that's one mean relapse you're having!
      Big A explained quite well how steroids help. they're the only thing i've been put on (dx'd 2002) to stop/slow down relapses.

i have found that the sooner you start them and the higher the dose is, i usually have relief from most of the new symptoms and very residual or leftover problems.
      i'll be praying that you get back to baseline (or whatever your normal is)

oh, steroids effects are different for most people. me- when i'm on the IV or high dose my mind is very active to the point that i can't sleep but my body is usually pretty tired. sometimes my body has a burst of energy for the first few days like it just did a mo. ago on steroids. but then i've found that once i start to taper down, i want to sleep a lot. it seems my body is catching up on lost sleep which is good since that's when you heal.
      drink LOTS of water and watch out for the munchies. steroids are notorious for causing uncontrolled hunger!!!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Thanks you so, so, so much for posting. I'm grateful for your insights.

Comment

Funny you should ask about D level. I just asked the dr to order a D test cause it was low a couple mo ago and now we're going into winter I haven't been out much.

Dr. just ordered Betaseron. Nurse is supposed to come next week. I was just diagnosed this mo. but symptoms 2 years.

Wondering if I should ask the doc to put me on IV instead of oral.

Thanks for your concern guys. It's very reassuring.

Comment

Working...
          X