leg pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leg pain

I am having severe pain in both of my legs. Once I get out of bed and start moving around and standing up it gets really bad. I am in tears by 5pm because it's hurting so bad. This started 3-4 days ago. I am not sure if this could be MS related. My legs ache so bad.
    I had a relapse and was admitted to the hospital on Sept. 22. I was treated with solumedrol. I was there for five days. I'm not sure if it could even be possible to have another relapse this soon. I have never had this pain before. It is on both sides. I'm scared. Could this be a relapse and will this pain go away? I have a doctor's appt with my general practitioner tomorrow. Sometimes I feel like I can't explain my symptoms and then the doctor just sends me home with naproxen. But this pain is different and unbearable.

Any suggestions or similar stories???

shannon

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that I started a flare Sept 7, took five days of oral steroids, and the minute they wore off the pain rebounded triple what it had been before. My neuro gave me some drugs for it, but it lasted awhile. I have no idea if its normal or not, I'm a newbie and that was my first steroid course.

Comment

Actually I should add, he gave me the steroids for leg heaviness and weakness, and balance problems, which the steroids fixed right away. I have no idea why the pain increased so much afterwards, but at least my function stayed good, so I'm not prepared to call the steroids a failure.

Comment

Do your legs feel tight? I wonder if it is spasticity? I have trouble with that and have been on baclofen for years. I had a pump implanted over two years ago and that has helped tremendously. I still keep oral bac on hand for break through pain.

I know stretching is recommended, but the more active I am the worse it can get. On busy days, the longer I go the worse I feel.

Maybe ask your doctor about it more specifically. They can tell how tight your muscles are and if you have any clonus or ratching in your movement.

I know how you feel and feel for you. Good Luck.

Comment

My spasticity is exactly as Nappy described to the tee. I also take Baclofen for it.

Comment

I just started with the leg pain about a month ago. It's horrible. I was taking bacolfen at night but it wasn't cutting it so now I'm on zanaflex and it seems to be helping. It's only been a week but so far I have noticed a little less pain when I wake up. I haven't seen my neuro yet, just moved, my psychiatrist prescribed it (she really knows her medications )

I think it is spascisity the more I learn about it. It feels like a muscle tear - which I have had.

Naproxen and others in it's family, Meloxicam didn't touch that pain for me.

I hope you feel better.
            This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

I am truly sorry you are having so much pain. I suffer from chronic leg pain also. My neuro said it is a result of MS. It is an everyday thing and there are times when the pain gets so bad I cannot even concentrate. My PCP tried everything he could think of to help and we finally had to resort to a narcotic pain reliever. I now take lortab, neurontin and baclofen. That is the only thing that helps and at times it will just take the edge off.

I recently finished 3 days IVSM and it completely wiped out the pain. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. But, the pain is back. I wish I had some firm answers for you but I am not sure anyone does. I hope your PCP will give you something that will give you some relief.
              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
              Babe Ruth

Comment

7426sme - I also had leg pain left after IV steroids (7 days worth ) after my relapse. For me, it's like this unbearable achiness and no rubbing in the world makes it go away. I have heard a lot of people complain of leg pain (in one or both legs) after high doses of steroids. For me, it was mainly one leg (the one effected by my relapse) and my hips...boo...that hurt.

After you did the IV steroids, I assume they put you on a couple week taper which would have ended just recently right? It could be the steroids still working their way out of your system?

What has helped me the most with this pain has actually been physical therapy. Basically, light exercise and lots of stretching. Ice packs are also my best friend I still have some achiness if I walk too much but I think that is due to still recovering from my relapse (it was a hefty attack)…stretching and rest is my biggest help.

It has gotten better for sure, I hope the same goes for you too!
                dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Hello 7426sme,

Bi-lateral leg aching is a normal MS symptom for me. Some days, weeks, months are better than others and it does come and go, for me.

I asked my neuro many years ago if using my legs or doing things will make it worse or should I sit down and relax when they ache. He told me do what I felt I needed to do (sit down or keep going) either way I wouldn't do any harm.

The majority of time I keep going unless I just can't take the pain anymore (I have a high pain tolerance) and then I sit down with an electric blanket wrapped around my legs.

There are medications your Neurologist could try to help with the pain but you need to speak to him about it.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Shannon I had this same thing happen to me. I was in bed & all the sudden I got this awful unbearable pain in both legs, they felt so heavy & the pain was like something I never felt before.

I posted here & on their Facebook page. Someone said to make sure it wasn't a blood clot. Although for me my legs felt so heavy I couldn't move very much at all. I sit in bed crying.

Praying you get answers very soon. I am very Thankful my pain went away the next afternoon but has happen one other time.
                    Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
                    Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

Snoopy I love the idea of an electric blanket! That's a great idea. My husband used to message my legs and also had a friend that does message do a deep tissue message on my legs. They hurt for three days afterward. Finally asked my neuro to increase my dose of Baclofen and am on the highest dose now and it's helping but if I just keep going it still gets to me. I'm going to buy an electric blanket.

Comment

saw my primary care

I saw my primary care physician, and because I am having sensory issues as well, he put me on a 5 day dose of predisone (he was going to put me back in the hosptial, but I begged him not to). So I am home now and still in a lot of pain. I've never had anything like this.
                        I do take baclofen but only once a day. I should take the recommended 3 a day. I have already taken an extra today and waiting to see if that helps.
                        After my hospital stay I was NOT put on a tapering dose of steriods. In the past I was. When I came home from the hosptial I had major solumedrol withdrawal. That went away and then about two weeks later, Sunday, I started this leg pain.
                        Thank you all for all your responses. It's incredible to get support from people who know what you are going through. It's always so hard to explain to people how you are feeling because they can't see your symptoms unless you aren't walking.
                        Oh and my nuero is out until Monday but I will see him next Thursday. I talked with another nuero at the VA and he prescribed Gabapentin (sp?). That should get here next week sometime.
                        Thanks again and I will keep you informed.

Comment

yes there can be so many reason which can cause of ur leg pain but physical therapy is a quite good experience for it i have personally seen so many people in the same situation and physical therapy heel them.......
                          Osvaldo

Comment

i can't bear it

it got better after low dose of steroids, but that wasn't enough. i'm hurting so bad and it's moved up my legs into my thighs. i don't want to go on anymore steroids. i'm supposed to start gelynia on the 10th, if my cardiologist approves (but my heart rate has been irregular). Please GOD. I just know how the Tysabri worked and want to be approved for the oral medication so bad. I just don't know how long I can accept this pain.

Don't know what to do...

Comment

Not the only one

I'm so glad I'm not alone with this. Mine feels a little like a charley horse that never quite stops.

I started with leg pain about a month ago. I bore the pain for three weeks because I'd been to the drs. so many times for back pain in the last 6 months and not had great responses. (I have a kidney stone but the urologist swears it's not moved from my kidney and shouldn't be causing me pain) I ended up crying in the dr. office last week because I just couldn't take it anymore. I should have had more faith in my healthcare team because my primary called my neuro and then sent me over to see him right then. They're both now convinced all my pain has been MS related all along.

I got prescribed flexeril, which is just not cutting the pain, especially at night.

My primary dr. suggested I might think about medical marijuana. Has anyone tried it for this kind of leg pain? Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X