community help/services without "official" MS diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

community help/services without "official" MS diagnosis

Unless my next MRI shows obvious new lesions, I may not get a definitive MS diagnosis for quite some time. (I have lupus already, and there's no good way to determine if my neurological symptoms are stemming from lupus, or if I have both lupus AND MS right now.)

I've shared this here before, but my husband is overseas and I have 2 children under 5, one of whom has special needs. I have limited help from my mother in law, but after a year of helping us while her son is gone, she is starting to get burned out, I think. She isn't "able" to do a lot of the things I need the most help with (grocery shopping, cooking food for my highly food allergic kids and celiac self, dealing with night wakings from both kids, etc.). She is able to occasionally watch my youngest while my oldest is in preschool, if I'm careful to schedule doctor's appointments during that window. But my kids have asthma, and my in-laws smoke in their house....so yeah, not a great solution.

We are fortunately able to pay a sitter/housecleaner come in 2 or 3 days a week to watch one or both kids, do the laundry, and sweep & mop (the tasks I'm pretty much unable to do anymore). But getting through the day is getting harder and harder, and it's going to be snowy here soon (upstate NY). I can barely drive, let alone knock snow off my car!

Even if my husband can find a job in the states when his current job ends this winter, it is highly unlikely to be around here. We can't afford to move, and my son gets medicaid because he is medically fragile- those programs are nearly nonexistent in some states, and our medical costs- even with primary insurance, our costs for just our kids runs over 40K per year out of pocket without medicaid.

So, what resources are out there for people like me? I can call around to some churches, but I feel weird about asking for help when we can't join a congregation (kids are immune deficient, I'm on immunosuppressants). United Way? Anything else? Would the MS society help since I don't have an official dx?

One of my biggest issues right now is cognitive decline, so locating the resources myself is kind of overwhelming. I mean, I can't even do simple math or spell much anymore.

It's so frustrating- I have tried asking neighbors, but I don't know anyone well, plus I'm a renter and that's not common in my neighborhood, so there's a bit of a bias there already. Also, I look fine, and I'm young, so it's hard for people to realize how badly I'm doing.

Rachel, 39 with celiac, systemic lupus and possible MS
    Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

My mom helped a lady new to town when she had to go for sudden surgery. She needed someone to watch her little girl for a couple of days and help out when she got back home for a couple of weeks. She didn't have money to hire anyone.

She found my mom at the local Senior Citizen Center!!
    Amazing huh?

It wouldn't hurt to talk to someone there. My mom says that many of the seniors there, like her, are healthy and active.

If that doesn't work out, maybe try the local high school or community college? I know that I did community service for a club I was in at high school years ago.

I hope you find some help.

Hugs and Prayers,
    Chele
    Mis-Diagnosed with Parkinson's for 1 year.
    Now being watched and tested for Neurological Movement Disorder, most likely MS.

Comment

Hi Rachel:

You do have diagnoses of lupus and celiac disease. Have you tried contacting associations/foundations for both of those conditions to see what resources they have to offer?

Comment

Call the churches. Many have a large social outreach group and will try to help. Catholic churches are especially good about that.
        Take a look at your municipal government. Do they have a disability services office? Try them or the first selectmen/mayor. You don't have to tell them much, just ask about disability aid.
        Also, have you looked into grocery delivery? Some stores have online services that will bring the groceries to your house...

Comment

Wow. I'm so sorry for everything you're going through. I just wanted to chime in and warn you to stay away from Illinois if you need medicaid. Almost no docs in this state accept it. Everyone here on Medicaid ends up in the ER for ear infections, sore throats, and all that. You're extremely lucky to find a doc in this state that accepts it.

That being said, they're working on changing it, but it remains to be seen how well the changes will be accepted.
          I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Have you tried contacting your county's health and human services department? Or maybe the health department can get you in touch with some resources. They have social workers on staff whose job it is to get people in touch with programs and services to help in situations like this.

There might be respite programs in your area. If your son is medically fragile and has special needs, it's possible you could qualify for respite services. Someone can come in and watch the kids while you tend to other things, or simply get some time out alone.

Association for Individual Development (AID) is what it's called here. It might be a national program. We qualified for respite, but by the time we found out, the economy crashed and they had to lay off all of their respite workers. I'm not sure of the state of things today. But we got our situation stabilized.
            I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
              Hi Rachel:

You do have diagnoses of lupus and celiac disease. Have you tried contacting associations/foundations for both of those conditions to see what resources they have to offer?
              Your suggestion made me laugh, because I couldn't believe I had not thought of it already! Hello, cog fog.

I did some research, and was surprised that the Lupus Society doesn't have a chapter here! There is a lupus support group that meets monthly in a neighboring town, and I may try to attend the next meeting if I can.

Will also check my rheumatology center to see if they have any suggestions.

My current sitter is leaving me in two weeks, and the person I hired to replace her is also a social worker. She's local to the area and said she can get me in contact with organizations that might be able to assist.

I'll try to do the same thing for celiac organizations next.

I honestly can't believe I didn't think of this on my own- thanks, redwings.
              Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

Comment

The local hospital here has a program that assists people get to their doctors office and hospital for testing for free. Perhaps there is a program where you live for that. It might be worth asking. It's a small part of what you need but it might help.

Comment

Working...
                X