MS and fibromyalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and fibromyalgia

Does anyone here have MS and fibromyalgia? I think I may have both, I am in pain most of the day and so stiff when I get up to walk.

If you do have both - I have a few questions:

Does your Neuro treat both?

How do you differentiate between your MS symptoms and fibromyalgia?

Thank you.
    Dx - February 2011
    Copaxone and now Avonex
    Amantadine for fatigue

I have MS and Fibromyalgia. Neuro treats both, as it is difficult to differiniate (sp)the two sometimes. Fibro. gives me all over body aches---in the tissue-painful to touch. MS tends to be a different, deep pain. Constant MS pain in lower body mostly. Tingles and strange sensations in the rest of body attributed to MS (among other issues).

Treatment at this time consists of Tramadol 4x daily (pain med), Norflex 3-4x daily (muscle relaxer), Naldolol 1x daily(for tremors).
    DX RRMS 10/09/2003
    DX FIBROMYALGIA 08/1990
    COPAXONE 10/09/2003

Comment

I am actually going through the same thing. I have all over body pain. I have had this since before I was dx with MS. I often have wondered if its fibro, but I never thought my dr. would take me seriously. So now when I mention it to my neuro he says its prob the Avonex. But I know it was there before I started Avonex, however I do feel that the Avonex intensifies the pain.

I also suffer from extreme fatigue. So much that I can't do anything. My neuro says check family dr. and my family dr. says check with neuro... so on my own I got an appt. with a rheumatologist for November. So maybe that will help who knows.

Comment

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago and with MS this year. My DH has asked me how can I differentiate between the two. Indeed sometimes it is impossible. The fibromyalgia is more of a muscle type pain and sensitive to light pressure or touch. It affects the major muscles of my thighs, buttocks, upper arms and shoulders. The MS is often a burning type pain in my feet and legs. The MS also causes painful spasms of my toes, feet and lower back.
        The flu type pain from Avonex most closely resembles fibromyalgia. Both diseases often flare when I'm stressed, fatigued or during weather changes.

Comment

Response

Thank you for your responses, this is helpful. I was curious if the Avonex is causing some of this because the muscle pain / tenderness seemed to start after I started the meds. I will bring it up with my Neuro to see what she thinks.

Thank you.
          Dx - February 2011
          Copaxone and now Avonex
          Amantadine for fatigue

Comment

Fibromyalgia then MS?

I have had Fibromyalgia for years with the tender points on bilateral sides equally. I have the associated muscle wasting and flaccidity. The accompanying Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is being treated with Vyvanse and for pain I take Ultracet and that is all.

For years, this has worked but have had a host of gradual signs and symptoms that were creeping up on me like sudden stabbing pain in one of my eyes, blurred vision even though I wear contacts, I still couldn't see. I have been having headaches, though not severe but some dizziness that just seems to be a dizziness in my head. I have had the hugging feeling across my lower chest like my bra is too tight! I recently had the freezing feeling in my lower legs and feet but were warm to touch and hurt badly, then the leg cramps in the calves and feet. I also have been plagued with extreme weakness in my legs and lower back pain radiating around the left flank and down the left side of my thigh down to my knee and beyond.

I have "0" Testosterone level, no sex drive whatsover and all of my other lab tests are normal, no RA or Lupus, or Thyroid problems or Diabetes. I do seem to feel like I am just going to pass out and go to sleep when I do sit down to rest. It is really a weird feeling. I have not been diagnosed with MS yet but am going for a CT scan to rule out something wrong with my brain I guess. I had Hodgkins Disease in 1982 which originated in the Thymus which had to be removed with Mediastinal surgery so I have clips in my sternum. I won't be able to have an MRI.

Could the Vyvanse have masked my symptoms because if I don't take it, I literally cannot get up and motivate myself to work or have any kind of normal type of life at all. I am a Registered Nurse and my occupation is very demanding. I am getting to the point to where I feel I need to start slowing down and take care of myself and not burn my candle at both ends! What do you all think?

**Post broken into paragraphs by Moderator for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.**

Comment

Working...
            X