Trying to find a hobby I can do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find a hobby I can do

I have been on this computer for hours building an MS awareness shop on Cafepress hoping maybe my old love of web design would come back to me. Oh yes it did but I do have Carpal tunnel and it is not allowing me to enjoy computer work very much right now. I love to crochet, but once again carpal tunnel holds me back.
    I am feeling a bit at a loss it seems so many things have hit me this year. I am really trying to stay upbeat about it all and even try to joke about falling apart once I hit 40. But inside I am not laughing much...
    DX 10/26/11

Short term idea

I have always been an information gatherer. Because my eyes are bothering me so much reading and even tv have become difficult. I stumbled upon the Podcast which has become a lifesaver. I can only speak for the iPhone (and iPod I assume) but if you go into iTunes and look for podcast there are countless podcasts (they are episodes of radio shows and even tv shows) that are FREE! Topics range from arts to comedy to sciences to AA speakers! My favorite right now are What You Didn't Learn in History. I got a small, rechargable speaker (less than $10) that attaches to my iPhone (I prefer it to earphones). I and figured out you don't have to download each podcast to listen to it, simply click on the title and it plays...magic!
    M.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Comment

how about listing some of your favorite things to do, and then do an hour or so of each so you don`t get burdened by any one thing.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Valerie,

Could you learn an instrument? There are several that are small enough that you could pick them up and learn. You can get "lessons" on-line or on a DVD. Heck even BONGOS!!! They sell "practice pads" for drums.
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
          Valerie,

Could you learn an instrument? There are several that are small enough that you could pick them up and learn. You can get "lessons" on-line or on a DVD. Heck even BONGOS!!! They sell "practice pads" for drums.
          I have recently taken up the harmonica. There is a Blues Harmonica for Dummies book with a CD you can play along with that has backup tracks so you can feel like you're playing "real music" right from the start. Harmonicas are inexpensive, and one of the few instruments that sound OK from your very few notes. And great for deep breathing. I admit, I am proselytize on harmonicas every chance I get, but seriously, this instrument is a huge bang for your buck and effort.
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

Yeah, I'm saying goodbye to a lot of things I used to love to do I'm not sure what came first: my changing tastes, or the MS, which makes nearly everything feel like too much trouble.

One craft I can do even if my fingers/arms aren't super strong is gelatin plate printing. Look up Gelli Arts videos on YouTube if you want to see this monoprint art technique demonstrated. It doesn't take a lot to get started, it's easy to learn, and it's addictive! Makes me feel better about all of the crafting I'm now finding it hard to do.

Comment

I always enjoy reading.

And, volunteering. There are so many options:
              ~ nursing homes, schools, child care centers, hospice, humane society (animals), prison or jail visitation, lots of social service organizations.
              RSVP Retired Senior Volunteer Program now caters to volunteers of all ages and can offer a list in your community.
              Or create your own volunteer opportunity by suggesting a service you can offer. You likely won't be turned down.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I love reading and I'm starting to get into Audiobooks for when I'm too fatigued to read . I also enjoy going around the mall for exercising and people watching

Comment

Working...
                X