Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many here see a therapist?

Hi

I think we've all had heavy hearts in here lately to an extent. There have been some of our friends with whom have been hurting, feeling pretty numb and contemplating is life worth really living.

I think we can all relate to days when it was hard, periods in our lives when we just felt like oh man really something else thrown my way?

Yet at the end of the day anyday above ground is a good day. We all know this in our hearts. There is something to look forward to each day, which is why i started the gratitude journal because I think often we dont' realize all we have because let's face it we take it for granted totally not meaning to, it's just human nature we adjust and adapt to ppl in our world, situations etc. we become accustomed to it.

Sooo i'm not always happy by the way. I'm not always walking around with my pom pom 's in hand chanting be happy. Nights are where i struggle the most,due to pain etc. and it's when our days come to a close and reality sets in.

Yet there's one thing i know therapy helps alot. If the gratitude journaling isnt' helping, or the listing fun things you like to do (another great post) or just talking to family or friends therapy helps alot. it's a person who is literally paid to sit and listen, be attentive with no interruptions and give you that feedback and help you get that different perspective.

So, i wanted to just put this out there. Can everyone kinda jump in say if you do attend therapy and what benefit it serves.

maybe it'll help those out there hurting to see therapy is important and also what benefits we all recieve from it.

i attend therapy, have since i was dx'd some 7 mos. ago. it helps me in dumping my overfilled cup over. it helps me in gaining a different perspective on things, my life. it helps me priortize my emotions and my life.

whose next?
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

thinking for my kids

My kids could use it. They have been through a lot and then and in this MS crap! So my Dh and I keep talking about taking our kids. When soccer is done in a few weeks and we have a free day we'll start doing it. What can it hurt. I have seen some sort of a therapist off and on since I was 7...I'm going on 33. Haven't seen one in 3-4yrs but still "done my time".

I agree at different points it sure did help to just talk to someone. They didn't judge or talk back. They sat and listened and gave advice if needed.

For my day to day life I try to use humor to off set my...mood. Most days it works well but somedays I struggle. My hubby and I just watch my moods and if i'm in a funk for to long then we start to talk about meds...I don't do depression meds. So mood watching is my past time. LOL fun stuff.

isamadjul
    (allyson)
    DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

so, so far no one sees a therapist???
      Jen Dx'd 5/11
      "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

No, and I really don't plan to... Talking with people who live this crap helps me bc my family can't understand.... Was worried and considering it for my oldest till we had a God send this yr ( new school) ever morning they have a time to basically get whatever is bothering them off their chest so they then are focused on their work--I thought ok that is kind of cool- Then my child who btw has been embarrassed by my stumbling ect, come home excited to learn a girl in her class has a mom with MS!! I contacted the mom (the two kids wanted us to talk, or at least I know my child did) anyway, we r going to go out for lunch when we r both able...

Comment

I saw several therapists over the course of 40 years (moved around a lot). Some were good, one was bad, most were just okay.

The most effective therapy I ever had was Ericksonian Brief Therapy for debilitating anxiety attacks; haven't had an anxiety attack for decades now.

I'm not currently seeing a therapist, nor do I have any plans to see one in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
            so, so far no one sees a therapist???
            I was in therapy and had been for several years but it was not due to MS. I had a wonderful therapist who worked with both CBT and DBT. If I need to I will go back into therapy.

If not for therapy and the wonderful therapist I had I would more than likely be dead...suicide.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              I was in therapy and had been for several years but it was not due to MS. I had a wonderful therapist who worked with both CBT and DBT. If I need to I will go back into therapy.

If not for therapy and the wonderful therapist I had I would more than likely be dead...suicide.

This is so nice to read. I believe CBT can be helpful for so many different issues. Although I was always more of a medication to straighten out the brain chemistry type person and fought the therapy classes in school tooth and nail.

The interesting thing is now that I'm actually doing therapy I really enjoy it. While I don't think I'm introducing earth shattering changes every session I do feel as if throwing out different ways of looking at things has helped my clients or at the very least planted a seed.

I'm still totally in favor of medications but have seen that without doing the emotional work and changing the skewed patterns of thinking that we all fall into medication is only a temporary fix.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

I see a psychiatrist 2X a year to obtain my antidepressants. He is outstanding. We have a pretty great session each time.

I saw 2 different therapists for a couple years after I quit my last job. One was great. One sucked. I was not dx'd at the time.

I now consult regularly with a Christian Counselor. He and his wife are licensed counselors. For the largest part I use prayer with God as my therapy and for me it works well.

I think therapy can be very helpful at points in your life. Hopefully helpful enough that it can be replaced with something meaningful.

j
                Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

No

It would just be another $20 co payment.

I know I am sick. I know there is no cure.
                  I take my meds, and see what happens.
                  I had a fine childhood. I have a great wife and daughter.
                  I still work.

Nothing really to talk about, but I understand the need for others.

Comment

I do

I haven't been diagnosed, and I am not saying yet because I of course hope it never happens but...It is my Psychiatrist who called me out and is guiding me to figure out what is happening. Given my life history I don't think it would be safe for me to go this journey alone.
                    M.
                    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

I do

I just started a few weeks ago for the first time in my life. I do have insurance coverage which is a big help--would probaby not be going if I had to pay. It seems to be a great thing. I'm very fortunate to have found this particular therapist.

Comment

No, I don't see a therapist .. there's nothing they could say to me that I haven't already said to myself. *I'm my own best therapist in that I *give myself a kick up the wazoo when I *need it, don't allow myself to wallow *(much), remind myself just how fortunate I am when I begin to get down or feel sorry for myself or pissed off with this pig of a disease and so on.

Just some of the things *I'm grateful for:

~ having a bed to call my own and a roof over my head
                        ~ having enough food and sufficient finances to get by
                        ~ having my liberty and not living under a regime where one lives in fear
                        ~ not having it (the MS) worst or not having a condition which makes the MS look like a walk in the park
                        ~ my cat being healthy (having lost one to cancer, you might say I have an extra appreciation for my pet's good health)

Yeah I get pissed off, down and fed up as the next person with this *** condition. *But one thing I have learned and that things could ALWAYS be worst.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                          The interesting thing is now that I'm actually doing therapy I really enjoy it.
                          That's great, Jules! I had no idea you were going in that direction, I'm sure you will make a great therapist.

While I don't think I'm introducing earth shattering changes every session I do feel as if throwing out different ways of looking at things has helped my clients or at the very least planted a seed.
                          Planting a seed can be the start to change for your clients. Changes can come slowly but they can happen. I have always felt and said "I am a work in progress."

I'm still totally in favor of medications but have seen that without doing the emotional work and changing the skewed patterns of thinking that we all fall into medication is only a temporary fix.
                          I completely agree.

I have not had clinical depression in quite a few years and I have not used an anti-depressants in as many years. I did the majority of my work without medication and my therapist prefered her clients not on medication if it was possible.

Since therapy I have found the inner peace I struggled so hard to find on my own, but it was just out of my reach. I am rarely angry or irritable --- I am at peace, such a wonderful feeling.

Anger can eat you alive.
                          Diagnosed 1984
                          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I do see a therapist off and on, and my MS has come up, but mostly for my anxiety or childhood issues. I've made some real progress on my anxiety issues.
                            Diagnosis: May, 2008
                            Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I have always found therapy helpful at different points in my life. So I sought one out again when MS came into my life. I took me a few tries to find one who was good at helping me through this.

One lady kept trying to get me to accept my identity as a disabled person. She ticked me off.

My therapist, that I am seeing now, is wonderful. She is helping me to grieve and not feel guilty about grieving. I suck at grieving on my own.

I think therapy is very helpful. It is a safe place to say and feel whatever you want without fear of judgment. That right there can really help your mood :-)
                              Melissa Goerke
                              [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X