Excessive burps even without the soda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive burps even without the soda

Does anyone else notice they burp more since MS kicked in? Maybe it's just me. My last relapse included the MS hug and numbness on the left side including my face/throat/tongue/lips. I thought maybe I'm just swallowing air without even noticing or something. It seems like I'm burping all the time even though I don't drink Diet Coke anymore (that stuff is ammo).

Fortunately I can cover it so I'm not frightening my co-workers, but still. Is it just me?

I get it too... Usually from heat or when the flare gets really bad. Of course, it's supposedly not MS (I've been to a gastro for it). Once again, a "you're stressed" explanation. Anyway...
    It's called aerophagia (air swallowing). Meditation does help. Also ice cream (don't ask me why! cold?)

Comment

Yes, seriously.

I'm like what the??? It's soo annoying. Usually worse in the mornings, but can be throughout the day..

Comment

Omg. I had this for over a month. My family complained. I cut out everything "annoying" food and nothing happened. Finally I was gagging,coughing, and could not eat. I went to my doc and he ordered a ton of expensive tests.

Of course they were all normal. I find it really interesting that others have this as well.

It went away four days ago. I have not burped since. The med the doc gave me for the "condition" is sitting on my counter untouched.

I was ill during some of this as well, and had to indure excruciating pain during the sonogram to determine the "cause" of my burping.

gee. this disease is something else.

Comment

mine seems to be getting worse.. its so embarrassing. Plus I try to keep it quiet at work.. Ugh.. just frustrating

Comment

Put in a call to your neuro. There's a drug cocktail used for people with gastric issues that will stop it temporarily. It's disgusting, but if you're desperate, it's worth it. I took it for a few weeks until I could start swallowing food again.

Comment

Try using a pen clenched between your teeth (just enough to hold it) when you are sitting idle if the problem doesn't go away. I get "The hug" too and sometimes afterward the burping gets unreal. This seems to help a little. It's just a mind trick to retrain you from swallowing too much air during the day.
              Doesn't work while you are in the grip of "the hug"

Comment

Working...
              X