Need Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advise

I recently started a new job I did not tell them I have MS ( diagnosed in 2009 ). I walk with a slight limp but I am very capable of doing my job. I recently was written up and given a warning for being to slow moving, although speed has nothing to do with this job. Was I wrong not telling them I have MS or is it none of there business ??? Also do I have any legal actions if they let me go, because I feel I am being singled out because of the way I walk ??

Thanks

Originally posted by dynoman View Post
    I recently started a new job I did not tell them I have MS ( diagnosed in 2009 ). I walk with a slight limp but I am very capable of doing my job. I recently was written up and given a warning for being to slow moving, although speed has nothing to do with this job. Was I wrong not telling them I have MS or is it none of there business ??? Also do I have any legal actions if they let me go, because I feel I am being singled out because of the way I walk ??

Thanks
    Hi, Did they ask you about any physical conditions when you were hired? I had to do a pre-employment physical and since I needed their health benefits I opted to disclose but just with the doctor not my managers.

Just in case I would get your ducks in a row and find out what ADA accommodations they might have to make for you if they get on you about your speed again.

I'm not sure why they would even bring it up if it has nothing to do with your job. Lots of nurses I work with limp and no one would dare say a word since they are still able to perform their duties. Hang in there!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

You know, I've always been a fan of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander." If they want to beat you over the head with officious sounding write-ups, they probably better have a policy stating exactly what speed an employee must observe when performing what activity. For example, if policy states that you are supposed to wait on a customer within one minute of them entering the establishment, I would expect to see a manager parked at the entrance with a stopwatch in hand before they even think about writing you up. If I were you *(obviously I am not, but this can be done in a non-confrontational way) I would ask them to amend my write-up to include the company policy I am allegedly in violation of, and to what degree.

What a bunch of jackwagons.

Comment

Speaking with your Supervisor about the write-ups may be the best thing. They can tell you just what the problems seem to be. Maybe it can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

MS leaflets say

Hey, sorry to hear what your going through. I did read in one of the MS and employment booklets I was given that if you don't disclose you may not be able to take action if things go pear shaped. This is due to them employing you on the basis of you not having a disability. Sorry if this advise makes you feel worse. Keep your chin up!
          'just keep riding the wave, calmness will come'

Another Beta Babe

Comment

Working...
          X