still hanging on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still hanging on

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis march 2009. at that time I lost all use of my left arm, feeling in most of my body, fatigue that made it difficult to walk, confusion, forgetfulness, depression. and a host of other symptoms. I recovered most of what was effected as the lesion on my spine healed and returned to work (at a prison in florida) the end of June 2009. I found that stress had a profound impact on my mind and body. if I became aggravated, stressed or had a mild fever my old symptoms would "revisit" me.

I would get so tired it was difficult to sit up or forget how to do simple things like use the telephone. once I walked into the hall at work and had no idea where I was at, another time I had an inmate on the phone in my office talking to a judge and I looked up from my computer and had no idea who he was or where I was at. I later learned these were called Pseudo exacerbation and they could be triggered by stress. 12/03/10 I begun taking medication for depression due to thoughts of self harm. I called my doctor and got a note off for 2 weeks on 12/14/10 after an incident with the Warden scolding me. he has told my supervisor not to approve my leave because he thinks I'm throwing a temper tantrum and my illness isn't legitimate.

Meanwhile I'm fighting the fantasy of cutting my wrist and I am afraid to go back to work. All i want to do is hide from the world an his harrasment is making me worse. maybe it's time to quit work and admit i can't handle the stress of releasing convicted felons into the world. i'm so tired of trying to be strong for my family.

**post edited by Moderator to break into paragraphs for easier reading! many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print**
    dx:RRMS 3/10/09
    DMM: Low dose Naltrexone

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

I'm sorry things are so difficult. If you are feeling hopeless please contact someone that can help.

http://suicidehotlines.com/
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I can relate

When I got sick it was less than a year before I had to stop working, because I was physically unable to do my job. I was only 28 years old. I was a field sales rep at a chemical company, and I was no longer able to drive or walk very far. Lucky for me, my company had shot-term and long-term disability, so I was able to leave my job and have some financial benefits. I was also recently awarded Social Security Disability (after 2 years of appeals).

Do not hurt yourself. My symptoms also get worse with stress, and I can't imagine that working in a prison is a low stress job. You may want to consider speaking with someone in Human Resources about any type of disability benefits they offer (if any).

You do have rights, the warden can't just decide that it is a made up illness. If you provide a doctor's written documentation to him about your illness, he can't fire you for your illness. You could sue for that.

I have written an ebook that is a guide for disabled people on understanding their rights, and how to apply for disability benefits. I think that it may be helpful for you. You can find it at *****web address removed as per guidelines. You may put it in your profile*****

If you do nothing else, I would recommend that you look for a less stressful job.

Comment

First off I want to say that I understand. Having MS is rough enough without having to work and have a stressful job with a supervisor who doesn't understand this disease.

Secondly you need to hear me; DON'T ALLOW ANYONE TO GET UNDERNEATH YOUR SKIN. No one is worth the thoughts you have of hurting yourself. You deserve a life of love and fulfillment and happiness. There is so little of that left for us with MS so you have to take it while you can.

I am glad that you are on medication but make sure you follow thru on learning stress relief and how to care for yourself.

You are not alone. You have all of us here for support. Praying that you find some relief.
        This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

update

Thank God for Cymbalta and Abilify! doing better emotionally now. I'm smileing again and doing things i enjoy!

The Warden that i was having trouble with has been on an unexspected vacation???? i think DOC is afraid of a law suit and is scrambling to cover there ***.

My Nuro says i need to find a less stressful job and i should stop having problems with my MS so often. lower stress=more better .

thanks for you support through the dark times!!!
          dx:RRMS 3/10/09
          DMM: Low dose Naltrexone

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
          ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Working...
          X