Terminated at Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminated at Work

I started a new job exactly two weeks ago...at a company in Minneapolis that describes themselves as family friendly.

The first week went okay...although my fatigue seemed pretty bad. The second week I noticed the left side of my body going numb. I had to call in sick on Thursday because I couldn't walk...and also on Friday as my neurologist sent me for an extensive MRI and started me on IV steroids over the weekend.

Sunday evening I sent a message to my manager explaining my situation with my M.S. flair up and asking for permission to bring the IV stand and steroids to work. I'm a computer programmer and sit in a cube all day with very little contact with others, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. He sent me a message Monday morning telling me I could not take my steroids at work, and this needed to be done at home in the evening. I explained I have to do it on a 24-hour clock, so he told me to stay home and work from home. So, I did...and was working this afternoon when....

I got a call a few hours later from someone in HR telling me that I had been terminated for 'attendance reasons'. They then emailed me a letter and shut off my access to the computer system.

My question...should I file an EEOC...or am I wasting my time? Should I hire a lawyer? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Job termination

Question #1 - Why would you want to work for a company that treats its employees like you were treated?

Question #2 - Why would you ask permission to bring your IV pole and meds to your office?

I would suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in Employment Law. Your local NMSS chapter may be of some assistance in getting a referral.

In the meantime you might want to read up on EEOC. This way you are prepared when you have your initial consultation with the attorney. There may well be a very specific time frame within which you must file your complaint or a lawsuit. In addition, go to the homepage for your state government and see if there is a Human/Civil Rights Commission. These organizations may be of some help in a situation like this. If nothing else your former employer will have to spend the time to respond to their inquiry. Disability rights organizations may also have an interest in your case.

Comment

Helpful organizations in Minn.

I thought you might find these websites useful:

1. State of Minn. Human Rights Dept.
      www.humanrights.state.mn.us/

2. Minnesota Disability Law Center
      www.mndlc.org

3. Minnesota State Council on Disability
      http://www.state.mn.us/portal/mn/jsp...o?agency=MSCOD

Good luck.

Comment

Your Termination

What happened to you depends on many things. The short time you were with the company, the size of the company, the benefits provided, whether there is a waiting period for those benefits, your state laws and federal laws.

Not knowing the answer to many of these things it's almost impossible to answer your question.

While it doesn't seem fair, companies do also have rights. It's almost impossible to say whether they discriminated against you or not. It seems though that your former supervisor was not well trained and did not seek out help in managing an individual with a disability.

Before contacting a lawyer, contact HR at the company and find out what they were told and whether they knew you informed you boss of both your disability and your exacerbation. They may not have the full story. If they do and they believe they were within their rights firing you, contact your state commission against discrimination. There are also helpful tools on the federal sites as well.

Comment

Contact the eeoc. my bf works for walmart and as soon as they found out he had ms they fired him. we went to the eeoc and wouldn't u know it-2 days later they had an opening for him! he got his job back right away plus more. yes u are being discriminated against-contact the eeoc they will help u good luck

Comment

It also depends on state laws, for example NC is a right to work state and they can let you go for any reason they want want to, so they can come up with any reason they want for termination.
            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

They will not be providing you a reference, and you are no longer an employee, so you have nothing to lose by initiating an EEOC complaint.

Comment

I agree with the others who suguest reporting it! hey why not- try anything leagle and honest to re-gain your employment. From my point of view- try it it might work= and what have you got to loose?
                The best of Luck!!

Comment

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I feel by sharing my story I might be able to help you. I am 24 years old. I worked in a kitchen at a nursing home. I became diagnosed as I was employed there. My employer seemed understanding at first. Then it was summer and became hot in the kitchen. I was very uncomfortable and felt drained after working there. I talked to my neurologist who gave me a doctors note that I wasn't suppose to be exposed to steam ( ie working in dish room), as soon as I gave her that note her demeanor changed.
                  I started working twice in that dishroom in which I previously wouldn't. Tasks started to change and I was treated differently. I got pulled into a meeting and was told I was "manipulating" them with my disease. and that if I couldnt take the heat then get out of the kitchen.
                  I had all the proof I was being descriminated against. the

EOP didn't really help me. I tried to discuss fileing a complaint but they gave me all the negatives and said they'd call back to check in and never did. I ended up leaving there and going back to school despite me having a four year degree already.

I know your situation is different. I chose not to continue with a suit because I felt I'd make my employer mad and never have a good reference to a workplace. I feel that you should though. You have nothing to lose. However it might effect you emotional and rehash things that you don't want to think about anymore. It definately could be worth it in the long run. Anyone with a disability or asking for reasonable accomodations should be considered. I'd give them a call though they might be helpful to you. Keep us posted and keep your chin up. You are better than that employer!

Comment

Working...
                  X