Wanting some input...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting some input...

First, I'm not a nurse, but I wasn't sure where else I could post this request.
    I am an ophthalmic assistant, certified and I want to get my sub specialty in surgical assisting....which my employer is willing to pay for (I have an education stipend every year).
    I just wanted to ask for input on how you all study through the cog fog. I try to study and I read it, but it seems as though it doesnt reach my brain....long enough to stay there. Its frustrating to see that my reading comprehension and memory have deteriorated so quickly.

I was looking for tips, tricks, some advice......thanks!

I don't think I have too much cog-fog just yet but as an older student I did learn to make up for my lack of sharpness with my increased focus and willingness to study a lot more than I ever would have when I was younger.

I'd certainly give it a try. Good luck.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I'm a RN with surgical experience and suggest if you currently work for an Ophthalmology group that has an educational program that:
      a) they let you go to the OR with them to observe surgery.
      b) find a mentor that has been through the program.
      c) determine what your learning style is.
      For most people, if they can see the process it is easier to retain the written information. Most Dr.s and Nurses love to teach enthusiastic students. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PoofyWoofy View Post
        I'm a RN with surgical experience and suggest if you currently work for an Ophthalmology group that has an educational program that:
        a) they let you go to the OR with them to observe surgery.
        b) find a mentor that has been through the program.
        c) determine what your learning style is.
        For most people, if they can see the process it is easier to retain the written information. Most Dr.s and Nurses love to teach enthusiastic students. Hope this helps.
        I have been the first scrub for my docs for the last year...one of the reasons Im able to sit for the exam. I have been to the OR.
        I am the first in my office to want to further my education and certifications beyond just the basic. My docs were surprised that I wanted to learn more.
        I learn a lot from doing....its just memorizing the instruments.....
        Thanks for all the input!

Comment

I find that I learn with repetitive motions. As you spend more time in this field you will begin to pick it up. Hang in there. As I was going thru Nursing School I found that I had to write out everything I was to learn and then just read and read and reread it until I knew it. Hoping it all goes well.
          This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Working...
          X