First day of school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First day of school

Today is the first day of school. It is still so hard for me to not be there teaching. Does this day make anyone else sad?

I have been "retired" from teaching for two years. I miss the first day of school still. I have facebook friends from my old school keeping me updated. All of the changes in education make it a lot less difficult for me to miss. In today's classrooms I could no longer be the teacher I wanted to be.

Comment

an idea

I understand the frustration of not being able to teach anymore. I was never a teacher but I know what it's like to "loose" something.

Perhaps you could still utilize your talents. Maybe you could contact local schools and offer tutoring programs for individual students. They may be able to come to your home or perhaps meet you at the local library if possible. You may also want to consider becoming a mentor to children whose parents have disabilities. Perhaps you could help the children understand what there parents go through and how to help them. Not coming from the parents themselves, they may be more willing to listen. Or you may be able to participate in a big brother/sister program. You could charge a small fee or offer the services for free. Either way it could help you retain your identity.

I think one of the challenges of this disease is to force yourself to think outside the box. Maybe we can't do things the way we used to do them but if you think about it you may be able to do the same things, just differently.

I hope this helps a little.

Comment

Thanks, jenniferautumn. It helped!

Comment

anytime

Please keep us posted on your progress. Please don't let this monster take away the things you love.

Comment

Working...
          X