Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow

I am feeling very overwhelmed. Started school on Wednesday at a new school; that went well and my students seem excited about the classes. The problem I am having is the number of required meetings teachers are already scheduled for ...

I have never been required to go to this many meetings, and this is my 10th year teaching. I am also going to grad school; my classes are on Wednesday nights from 7-10. Unfortunately, all of the staff/training/etc. meetings are also on Wednesdays. Twice a month, there's two meetings- one early in the morning and one after school.

I am scared I won't be able to handle teaching and grad school with all of the new stuff piled on top. Can anyone give me any advice how to handle this? I would appreciate any and all comments!

change happens

I'm sorry to know that you're facing an increase in meetings in your new setting. Does your principal know that you're working on your next degree (it's assumed here in Massachusetts ... required of all within five years.) Maybe you can make a reasonable arrangement to attend portions of the meetings and receive the minutes from someone and review those notes.

I'm sorry no one else has responded to your post - I'm afraid a lot of teachers have forgotten that this forum was moved, and they don't see it unless they open "forums" rather than just going from message board to message board. But I have confidence that they'll be back.

Good for you for recognizing the need to pace yourself ... my dad, who was a firefighter, always told his rookies that when working on a ladder, they were to use one hand for the job, and keep one hand on the ladder ... to protect themselves so they would be able to go home to their families and then return for another day's challenges. I've always kept that in mind, but only in recent years allowed myself to say no to the non-essential duties that people expect of us ... self preservation preserves more than you yourself - it preserves all that you have to share with the children you teach.

You'll find your priorities ... wishing you the best.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Do your principal and fellow teachers know you have MS? I used to teach part-time and when I would tell the people I worked closest with, I got a lot of help. They would go out of their way to find ways to make it easier on me when I needed help. I hope it gets better for you.

Comment

Kudos to the teachers

Not a teacher, but ...

On disability for about 2 years. Worked 3 afternoons a week as a teacher in a child care center about 2 years ago. And, worked one morning a week as a preschool teacher last year.

I quit that job, because I'd planned to open a preschool-like program in my home this fall. However, the staff person I'd hired ended up being unreliable, and I decided that I didn't have time to find a qualified and appropriate replacement. So, I threw in the towel.

I've also been doing some volunteering in the school system the past 2 years, 3x a week. Had planned not to continue that this year, when I was planning on opening program in my home. But, I have something set up again, since that fell through. Also, worked as a para for about 4 years, prior to that. (My previous background had been in social work, but, I've also always had a soft spot for, and and interest in, early childhood, and in education.)

Anyway, what I want to say is ... wow. Those of you that teach FT, with MS, have my respect. Teaching, as a 40+ hour a week job, is tough for healthy people, and you all just have my respect, doing it with the challenges MS presents us with.

I thoroughly the part time and volunteer things that I do. But, that's just it. They are part time and volunteer. And, I can choose where and when I work, and I can schedule my naps around them.

Kudos to the teachers!

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies! I plan to work hard to "use one hand for the job, and keep one hand on the ladder ... to protect [myself] so [I] would be able to go home to [my] famil[y] and then return for another day's challenges." It is difficult for me, as I want to remain the energetic teacher and wife I know is hiding inside of me, behind the MonSter. That doesn't mean I can't try.

My administrators know I have MS, as do the people I work with, but I am finding it hard to ask to be released from the extra meetings. I do not want to give in to the fatigue. Doing that seems like admitting the MS is winning and that breaks my heart. Logically I understand that I have to prioritize, but I am still clinging to the idea that I can be "everything to everyone". I know, that is not the best thing for me physically, but that is one of the only things keeping me going emotionally.

I do want to thank you all for your support. I am finding MSWorld to be such a comfort; even when I am not posting that much, it is so heartening to see such an outpouring of caring here. This site helps me to feel "not quite" so alone. Perhaps that sounds melodramatic, but I mean it. Thank you.

Comment

I dropped my class!

Thank you for your support! I decided to drop my grad class this semester and I am so much happier. Not having that ONE EXTRA THING added has made me feel like I can handle everything. I'm not good at quitting things, but I am at peace with it. I can focus on my teaching, which I love.

Comment

Tundra girl you are not giving into the MS instead you are taking control of it. MS is like a child who at times acts out but by caring for your needs you put the control back in your pocket. Think of it as an inner classroom management.

Comment

Working...
              X