Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular exposure to pathogens...Anyone out there in Clinical/Medical Lab Science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular exposure to pathogens...Anyone out there in Clinical/Medical Lab Science?

Hey everyone.... I am currently a student looking to get into a clinical/medical laboratory science program. Right now, I'm taking a Medical Microbiology class with a lab.

I'm also currently dealing with an exacerbation and am getting a 5-day course of IVSM as a result. I spoke with my instructor about micro lab because we have been working with pathogenic bacteria and of course the IVSM suppresses my immune system. My instructor was very kind about my situation, saying that he wanted to err on the side of caution and would prefer that I didn't come to lab today. He wanted me to speak with my dr about labs, which I totally understand. But he also, perhaps not realizing that this is only a short-term treatment, mentioned speaking with my dr about the safety of me continuing on in the class.

I don't see it being a problem for me continuing on in the class, BUT his comment raised some huge questions in my mind. How will I do this going forward if/when I need infusions? Am I going to be able to succeed in the program? In the profession? Can I really do this and keep myself safe & healthy? I know that hopefully the IVSM will be infrequent, but the reality is I've had at least 3 (possibly 4, it's a long story) relapses in the past year. I don't do well with oral steroids, so if intervention is needed, IV is what we have. The first time I had infusions, I had been recently, unknowingly exposed to influenza (a coworker before she knew she had it) right before I got the IVSM and ended up getting incredibly sick post-infusion. We're pretty careful at work when others are/have been sick & I am the only other one who got the flu, probably thanks to my weakened immune system. It was a horrible experience that landed me in the ER getting breathing treatments, swabs, IV fluid, and tons of blood for cultures and countless other things. I do not care to repeat that experience, ever. Now I am extra cautious, but how will that carry over in the lab when exposure is pretty much constant?

Sorry if I'm rambling but this whole thing has made me doubt everything. I know that in terms of drive, discipline and academics, I have what it takes. But will my body allow it? Are there any others out there in this field? Or for any others out there in the medical field who are very closely exposed to pathogens...How do you deal with this? Has it been a problem for you? I am suddenly so full of doubts & would appreciate any input...Thanks.
    RRMS 1/16/13
    Ocrevus 2/19/18

Med Tech

Hi,
    I work in a hospital lab as a med tech. I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2002 and have never had to be treated with steroids. But, if I have a relapse that requires steroidal treatment, I would take time off (FMLA) so as not to expose myself to pathogens while immunocompromised.

I realize that working in the laboratory we are more exposed to pathogens than the average person...but we use universal precautions (treat everything as though it is contaminated) and use the personal protective equipment that is provided (gloves, lab coat, fume hood etc). I am very careful and never touch anything without wearing gloves (including phones and computers etc) and I wipe down my entire area each day when I first get started on my shift.

I really love my job! I think you will be fine as long as you are careful and are logical about handling biohazards. It is such a rewarding field...as a nurse or phlebotomist you are probably more at risk of exposure with direct patient contact.

Hope this helps!
    Missyb
    You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Comment

I worked in the PICU, the surgical ICU, the CT-ICU, the trauma-ICU, the medicine ICU, the respiratory ICU, and the Burn center and the ER. I was exposed to many pathogens, especially in the pediatric ICU. I just put on a mask and gloves. It protected me fine. If someone had open wounds, I wore a gown, but I had to change their dressings. I never had an issue even though I had problems with my white counts on some of my own medications. I think you will be fine if you just take the proper precautions. Universal precautions are there to protect you. That they will. Follow your dreams and do what you want. Don't let MS get in your way. There are precautions for that...just be smart.

I wish you the best!

Take care
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I work around sick people in our clinic and hospital all the time, and I don't recall any problems as a result of my MS meds (I was on Gilenya until recently, Copaxone for 6 years before that). Before I was on MS meds, I was frequently on steroids for my asthma - no problem there either.

I get my annual flu shot, and have also had zoster, as well as yellow fever and meningitis vaccines, as I sometimes travel to unusual international locations where I would be at risk. I was careful to get the vaccinations when I was not on steroids, and before I began Gilenya.

I agree with the others - follow your dreams, do what you love to do, but use reasonable precautions, including Universal Precautions. I wear a lanyard with my work ID on it, to which I add a little 2 ounce bottle of hand sanitizer, so it is always there for me to use.

Comment

I have been working in medical with Cidex as was another girl. We both now have MS. We did not have any ventilation other than a fan! I was wondering if there is a correlation. I see in Europe there have been cases attributed to Cidex. Just a thought. Can't seem to find any here in the States. What are the chances that both of us, doing the same job around the Cidex coming down with MS.
          Any opinions would help greatly.

Comment

Working...
          X