The Value of Stockpiling for a Job Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Value of Stockpiling for a Job Loss

I knew the day would come when my dream job would fire me. In fact, I completely agree with my employer’s course of action because I would have done the same thing. If a worker is no longer capable of doing his or her assigned task correctly within the time specified, especially if it is a high paying job, then he or she needs to go.

And in my case I didn’t want anyone to know about MS because my profession is highly complex. It is also a small industry of professionals that everybody at least knows someone at another company.

Long story short, I am so grateful that I stockpiled my DMD; I have a three and a half month supply. I stopped using Adderall so I am using my stockpile of Provigil instead. I will only tap into my Adderall (half a month’s worth) when I land a new job. Although generic Ambien is cheap I am using what is remaining of my Lunesta since I had stopped using it a long while ago.

I wish I could have stockpiled lots more stuff before I got the axe but at least saving up extra DMD and a stimulant is huge for me.

I guess one of the reasons that I didn’t stockpile everything is that my previous employer gave me such a generous severance package and even paid three months of my COBRA. The place that is giving me the axe is only going to pay out my unused vacation and that is it.

But I need to make better preparations for such an unpredictable disease like MS; like an emergency fund, reducing debt, stockpiling, etc. As for the DMD, I will see if I am really developing the neutralizing antibodies (NAB) in about three months from now. And if I do have to change to another DMD I will donate what I have extra to my neurologist.

Good thinking! I'm also all about survival at this point in time which includes squirelling away as much money as I possibly can for when/if the day comes that I can't work.

Darn shame someone in their mid 40s should be so preoccupied with something like this isn't it?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Try being in your mid 30's and having to worry about that!

I'm in the midst of a mini panic attack right now because I'm about $1,000 short of getting through the month right now.

Luckily, the state covers my medical bills and prescriptions, but it's the power bill, the car note, and the other essential utilities that right now aren't covered.
      Erin
      DX RRMS 10/04, SPMS 05/10
      DMD: Avonex (2/10-5/10) Now on Rebif (6/10) & Gabapentin (1800 mg daily)

Comment

I'm so sorry that you lost your job.

You did well in saving up your meds. I was out of work for six months but got hired (in a lesser paying job, but a job, nonetheless) at least I have good insurance, and yes, I'm stockpiling meds again, and trying to get into more thrifty habits.

I hope you'll find another job soon. If I can at age 52, you can too.
        Take care, Wiz
        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Good thinking stocking up DMD. It also sound like you know what to use if you run out of X and can switch to Y. Super smart, you can rely on you knowledge of these DMD's to max on your stock pile. You are doing yourself a grate justice.

I have been stockpiling DMD's that have a good shelf life. It is very hard to Stockpile the high dollar injections.

All of us in this medical situation most look to the future despite our ages. I would have never thought that here in my 40's would need to be saving for the possible near future, not 20-30 years down the road, maybe 5-10 years.

I have found a lot of info from some of David Ramsey's books, videos, and even classes. He also have a syndicated radio show. He keeps a good perspective on things financial that are in line with GOD's word (yes the BIBLE).

Totally empathizing with everyone in this situation.

Romans 8:28
          Romans 8:28
          Dx with RRMS in July 2001

Comment

Sorry bout u losing your job. I stock piled my zoloft b/4 I got the axe. i didn't know i had ms. now, i got the dx while being unemployed. i'll be 40 in oct and I plan/bank on working at least 10 more years at my next job, if i ever friggin find/get one! i plan to save as much $$ as possible and continue to provide and care 4 my little ones.

Comment

Originally posted by dalems View Post
              Good thinking stocking up DMD. It also sound like you know what to use if you run out of X and can switch to Y. Super smart, you can rely on you knowledge of these DMD's to max on your stock pile.
              My stockpile is starting to run low; I haven't signed up to COBRA just yet but I will soon. The DMD is not an issue since I got a huge supply of it. However, it never occurred to me that my neuro would want me to change to a different DMD to take because of the NAB.

But I still have a couple of months to go before I see the neuro again. It is the other stuff that is running low. I am fine with the stimulant because instead of Adderrall I am taking Provigil (which I have plenty).

So I just need to start stockpiling everything from now on. As dalems suggested, instead of taking X, I can take Y (like what I am doing by taking Provigil right now).

Comment

Since the DMD's have about a one year life from manufacture you can stockpile quite a bit. On COBRA I stockpiled a 9 month supply, when that ran out I was on assistance from Biogen and got the Avonex free. So, in reality there was no reason to stockpile, just made me feel I was doing something.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

RavenousWolf,

Sorry about the loss of your dream job. Seems like you have always been thinking ahead and... still find that more thinking ahead is called for.

Good luck with the search. I know the smallness of an industry can also be a plus. Maybe your contacts and networking will make your time looking shorter.

Maybe even another dream job. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Now that I passed the three month mark of being unemployed I am closely examining every prescription I have to ensure that there is a generic or a very similar type of drug that has a generic or is covered by my COBRA.

I have another visit with my PCP soon so I will inquire about that.

I don't want to go overboard but I need to check everything with my PCP to see if it is even possible to do the following:

If I am low or out of X,
                    then I can take Y,
                    And if I am low or out of Y then I can take Z.

However, if I completely run out of Z then I am screwed.

I also need to determine with my neuro if I indeed need to change my DMD. I will need another test to determine if the NAB is still present.

That is my achilles heel because there is no purpose of having a stockpile of my DMD if I have to be changed to another DMD.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenousWolf View Post
                      If a worker is no longer capable of doing his or her assigned task correctly within the time specified, especially if it is a high paying job, then he or she needs to go.
                      If a worker, through no fault of their own contracts a disease which changes them so that they can no longer perform the job then they are often covered by Long Term Disability insurance that was offered as a benefit to induce them to consider the job in the first place. So, he or she may need to go, but out on disability, not terminated.

This is a fundamental benefit of many jobs just like salary. If you wouldn't have worked for free then you shouldn't turn down Long Term disability either (if it was offered as a benefit).

Long Term disability typically covers you for two years if you can't work your current job. After that you are covered if you can't work any job and make at least a certain percentage of what your old job paid you.

The insurance contract typically insures you will receive 60% of your original pay and that can be supplemented with other employment until you are making 100% of your previous salary. For instance 60% from insurance and 40% from your new job.

Comment

Working...
                      X