Nicu nurse awaiting ms DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicu nurse awaiting ms DX

I have been off work now for almost a month due to pain, weakness and numbness in both legs. My doctor has had two mri's done to rule other things out and I am scheduled for a brain MRI next week and have an apt with a neurologist next week also. I am scared of what is to come. I don't know if I will be able to return to work. My manager has been good so far and my co workers have been great. But I just dont know what is to come. I am only 28 and am the primary bread winner in my household. My husband works but does not make that much. I am hoping that my work will be able to make accommodations. I love working in the Nicu and have done it for over 5 years, but am now realizing that I may have to do something else. What areas of nursing have been easier for those of you out there DX with ms?

Hi and welcome,
    Sorry you have to be here. We used to have a member here MBSews who was a NICU physician and I really enjoyed her posts.

There are so many different areas of nursing and so many different presentations of MS that I think it is individualized as to what is "easier". I'd start by thinking of what other specialties might interest you and go from there. I fast tracked my education to increase my pay, opportunities and get me farther from the actual back-breaking work although I truly loved floor nursing.

I tend to prepare for the worst case scenario and would suggest you encourage your partner to consider exploring other ways of making a living just in case you aren't able to pull the load forever. Even if that never comes to pass you will have a financially comfortable life which isn't a bad thing, imo. Keep us posted.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Working...
    X