Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DISABILITY RETIREMENT ON TOP OF TEACHING RETIREMENT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DISABILITY RETIREMENT ON TOP OF TEACHING RETIREMENT?

HAS ANYONE EVERY HEARD OF THAT IN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY. I WAS TOLD OF THIS TODAY AND TOLD THAT I COULD RETIRE AND DRAW BOTH. DOESNT SOUND TRUE BUT HAD TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE SAY IT WAS? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THIS?

Perhaps they mean Social Security Disability. In New York teachers & employers pay into both SS & a state retirement system. Therefore, a disabled person can draw from both.

A good place to get some answers may be your local union representative, if you have one, or a Social Security office.

Comment

As long as they are2 different programs should not be a problem, I draw both SSDI and VA disability.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
        As long as they are2 different programs should not be a problem, I draw both SSDI and VA disability.
        I would say this makes sense. I live in the state of Kansas. I draw SSDI for disability (also through SSA/Social Security Administration. When I reach retirement age, I will draw social security retirement instead.) I also used to work for United School District 373 in Kansas as a para, and I draw Long Term Disability through them.

However, because I am already drawing SSDI, I currently receive only the minimum amount of Long Term Disability (LTD). When I reach retirement age, however, the amount of LTD will approximately triple. Currently, I am being paid LTD for the 10 years that I worked for the school district. When I retire, they will add the 20 years that I received LTD to the 10 years, and I will be eligible as if I were employed by them for 30 years.

(Does any of that make sense?)

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Gotta Check Around

As long as they are2 different programs should not be a problem, I draw both SSDI and VA disability

if they are different benefitss and policy yes you can. I draw three; ssdi, va, and long term disability from my old job. So check with the state and your old job H.R. department. and also check with your state rep. I actually could get 4 checks but my wife makes to much money. So check around and ask people.

Comment

Working...
          X