Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability

Im new here but have been reading posts for a while and the information is great.

I was official dx'd RRMS last September but everything started in 2005. We have been hammered my system with steroids to put me in remission which has not come and last MRI showed innumerable lesions in my brain stem.

My employer is aware and has been very helpful. My problem is I don't have the energy for a full day of work, I'm dizzy, i haver serious bladder issues and can't even walk around the block with my son without stopping a few times to rest among the normal MS symptoms. I'm a high level employee and feel I owe them more than I can produce.

My question is would I have a problem qualifying for my group LTD policy? Any information about your experiences would be greatly helpful.

We cannot tell you if you qualify for LTD, we don't have your contract so we don't know what type of insurance you have and we don't know what prevents you from working.

That you cannot walk does not qualify you for disability unless your job requires that you walk. That you have bladder problems, well lots of people work fulltime with bladder problems.

Fatigue may or may not etc. etc.

Simply put to qualify for most plans your limitations and restrictions (such as fatigue, cognitive problems, whatever) are such that you cannot perform the duties of your job.

To file for disability your doctors need to agree and support you.

You need to read your contract and you will get an idea of whether you qualify. Also I suggest you read about LTD insurance claims, lots of information on-line e.g. this site has a lot of information.

http://www.disabilityinsuranceforums...es.cfm?catid=4

Comment

LTC - some requirements

I have a great long term care insurance thru my govt job. The requirements of my policy are quoted below (it's pretty strict):

activities of daily living (ADLs):
      • bathing:
        • getting into a tub or shower; and
        • getting out of a tub or shower; and
        • washing your body in a tub, shower or by sponge bath; and
        • washing your hair in a tub, shower or sink.
        (If you need substantial assistance from another person to complete any one of these activities, you are dependent for bathing);
      • dressing:
        • putting on any necessary item of clothing (including undergarments) and any necessary braces, fasteners or artificial limbs; and
        • taking off any necessary item of clothing (including undergarments) and any necessary braces, fasteners or artificial limbs.
        (If you need substantial assistance from another person to complete any one of these activities, you are dependent for dressing);
      • transferring:
        • getting into a bed, chair or wheelchair; and
        • getting out of a bed, chair or wheelchair.
        (If you need substantial assistance from another person to complete any one of these activities, you are dependent for transferring);
      • toileting:
        • getting to and from the toilet; and
        • getting on and off the toilet; and
        • performing associated personal hygiene.
        (If you need substantial assistance from another person to complete any one of these activities, you are dependent for toileting);
      • continence:
        • maintaining control of bowel and bladder function; or
        • when unable to maintain control of bowel or bladder function, performing associated personal hygiene (including caring for catheter or colostomy bag).
        (If you cannot maintain control of bowel or bladder function and in addition you need substantial assistance from another person to perform the associated personal hygiene, you are dependent for continence);
      • eating:
        • feeding yourself by getting food into your mouth from a container (such as a plate or cup), including use of utensils when appropriate (such as a spoon or fork); or
        • when unable to feed yourself from a container, feeding yourself by a feeding tube or intravenously.
        (If you need substantial assistance from another person to complete any one of these activities, you are dependent for eating).

Comment

Long Term Disability insurance and Long Term Care insurance are two completely different things.

Long Term Disability insurance provides benefits when you are no longer able to work, generally about 60% of your salary.
        Qualifying for LTD involves comparing your physical and mental limitations to the requirements of your job. Depending on the policy, it may get into whether you can do any job, not just the one you had.

Long Term Care insurance provides payments to a nursing home facility or in home care providers when you can no longer perform activities of daily living without assistance.

Comment

Working...
        X