Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neuro wants me out on disability

Hello all,

So, per my last Neuro appt she is pushing for me to take some significant time off of work. I have a LTD policy through work and would also have to apply for SSDI (in my state this is taking up to 6 months).

I am fatigued, plagued with leg and back problems. I have been pretty messed up for almost a year with the 7 years before now mainly symptom free.

I need PT, OT, etc. but I am totally zonked by the time I get home. I know I need to do these things to stay strong but I am loath to not have a job and also have the issues with health insurance.

Can anyone relate?

And had on anyone used the time on LTD to retrain in something to do as work?

Thanks!

My Neuro is just the opposite.. he wants me to continue working. When I told him I may need to go out on disability he asked me and what would you do. I could not answer him.

Working does give me a sense of motivation. I do not have fatigue - my problem is sitting all day does take its toll on my right leg and my neck/shoulder tightness.

I am suffering from mostly sinus crap and not ms stuff...which I don't think I have MS. Anyhue.. hopefully, once I get this sinus crap taking care of.. may some of this tightness will go away.

Sounds like you may need to take some time off work.

Ms. Jay

Comment

I fought my doctor for a year on going on ltd. finally I couldn't keep,going anymore and I had to go out. It's been ten months and it is the best decision I ever made. My stress level is down and i am able to focus on my health and my family and I have some quality of life.

My career was everything to me, but now I realize my life is what really matters.

Good luck!
      Melissa Goerke
      [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

I'm in the same situation

as mgoerke. I love my work, but it gets harder and harder each and every week, which is why I put my FMLA in place, just in case.

I'll keep trying to work for the next six months, and make a decision then, if I last that long.

Comment

You should take the time off if you need it. I currently work on my feet all day and have a lot of pain in my feet and ankles. Wish I could find a sit down job.

Comment

A sit down job

is not always the answer. I sit all day. It simply transferred my pain and stiffness from my legs to my arms, shoulders and upper back.

The meds help that stiffness, but don't seem to do much for my legs. Even though I sit most of the day, it has not helped my energy levels, and my feet and legs hurt and feel 'tired' when I do try to walk.

Which brings up my pet peeve. I don't complain, because if I do, people say "you just need to walk more". Like I haven't tried that, and suffered from it as a result. Last time, I tried for 6 months, going to the gym 3-4 days a week, alternating a recumbent exercise bike with walking, and an upper/lower body strength program. Instead of improving, the more I tried to work slowly and steadily to strengthen my legs, they got weaker.

The same thing happened to my upper body. Strength improved to a certain point, then started going backward in strength and stamina. Instead of feeling better, I constantly felt tire and achy. I just couldn't seem to win.

Comment

I left my teaching job in Oct. Human Resources was very helpful. Apply online, stay on top of your doctor as far as paperwork goes. Sounds like this won't be a problem since he or she said to apply. My neuro told me to apply. I was approved first time. It did take me about five minutes to get on the exam table when I saw the disability doctor. That might have helped:-). I have no regrets and it wasn't that hard.
              Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

It is a complicated decission to be confronted with...

I was no longer able to continue working about 10yrs ago due to MS.

I know the down time allowed my body/brain time to heal & recover as much as it possibly could, though fatigue has remained a constant.

Not working has been a miserable experience for me. I loved working, traveled extensively, earned a great income.

It was a lot to give up. As a result I have tried to resume working on a few occassions, but employers in my industry are not exactly embracing new hires in my circumstances.

Good luck with your decission, and do get a copy of your LTD policy and read it before making your decision. It may not change your 'decision' but you will at least be informed about it's limitations and benefits.

Comment

Not working doesn't have to be a miserable experience. I thoroughly enjoyed working as a social worker for 8 years, but, was getting ready to transition into a stay-at-home job as a licensed day care provider, in order that I could be at home with my then-middle-school-aged children. (I believed that it was almost more important to be at home with them during those years (when kids are often left at home alone) than during the preschool years when they could be receiving loving care from another adult).

However, close to transition time, MS decided to rear its ugly head. I was able to make the transition, but only for a little over a year, before MS issues required me to close. I found a part time job as a para in the school system, which I also enjoyed, but, after 4 years (and many MS issues along the way!), I was let go following my application, 4 years in a row, for FMLA.

Although my transition to not-working was somewhat difficult, and took me about 3 years to get through some of the "you are what you do" issues in our society (so, if I'm not working, what, really was I?), I would describe it as a growing experience, not a miserable experience.

During that time, and, in the present, I volunteer in the community, and have come to be able to look at being paid for not-working as a blessing. I can choose how, and where, to spend my time outside the home. and, when I'm hojme, I can take naps when needed, and find things that I enjoy (computer, reading, TV, etc) to occupy my time.

All of this is somewhat beside the point though. If taking adequate care of your health requires that you consider going on disability, then, ... consider going on disability.

The stress that can accompany working when it becomes somewhat beyond your abilities can trigger MS flares. And, we know that recovery from those is unpredictable. Prevention is a survival technique. Consider preventing a faster progression of your MS.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I'm not suggesting that leaving one's gainful employment is or should be a miserable experience, far from it.

My transition was a bit lacking in available options, but that was my personal set of circumstances. Everyone is different.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Do it. My neuro wanted me on disability and I'm so glad that I did. Because he/she brought it up, he/she will be more motivated to get your paperwork done for you quickly, at least mine was. I was approved the first time and I believe my neuro was a big part of that. You won't regret it. I didn't realize just how tired I was. My headaches went away and my incontinence cleared up. It is a bit boring, but you'll find ways to entertain yourself.
                      Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Deciding to go on disabilitly when I was still able to fill out the LTD and SSDI forms intelligently was the best decision I ever made. It is a good idea to read up on how to file for disability because insurance language is key.

Obviously one always needs to have the support of a neuro. I cannot say I ever cared about whether my neuro felt I should/could work or not. They really don't hold that information you do! Are you an asset to the company you work for or are you a burden due to your symptoms if the latter time to go on disabilty.

Also if you work effort is still good seen from the company's perspective your health/MS may progress faster if stress, trying to keep up etc. is how you work, not a good thing, time to go on disability.

I have never been bored. Of course, my day seems to have half as many hours as it should because I am so slow now with every task. A shower is quite the project.

Yes, it stinks having less money when more is really needed with a disease like MS. I have not found a way around that one.

Comment

Working...
                        X