Resigned from job today and now panicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resigned from job today and now panicing

I have many panic attacks, and can make myself crazy with them.

Today I resigned from my job, due to my MS. My right side has become weaker, my cognitive issues picked up, and my fatigue in the afternoons really gets to me. I work all week just to rest all weekend so I can work the next week. I was on Tysabri for 2-1/2 years, but am JCV+so I am now off of it, and starting Betaseron.

I have talked to a lawyer, done all kind of reasearch on disability, and wrote my resignation letter. So today I finally resigned, but I have to give a one month notice becuase I'm in management. The financial ramifications are so scary, becuase I'll have to borrow form my IRA to make my share of my husband and my bills until disability is finally approved.

As my panic attack sets in, I am scared of:
    1. Yes, I'm weaker, but am I weak ENOUGH to be unemployed?
    2. Yes, my cog fog is worse, but my recent psychoneuro exam showed mild deficits, nothing horrible.
    3. My EEG showed I am having seizures, but if I don't even know I'm having them myself, should I let that be any deciding factor?
    4. I am fearful the Betaseron will make ma have flu like symptoms like Rebif did, but what if it doesn't? (I didn't plan to start them until after I leave my job).

I'm just scared I turned in my resignation without good enough reason. That I'm a quitter and will regret it. Someone PLEASE encourage me, I'm so scared. Anxiety is so horrible.
    Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
    Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
    dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Donna,
    If you are over 50 and have worked a lot it is easier.
    Social Security has SSDI forms on their site. You can print them out and start filling them out.
    I know how scary it is to know you won't be working again.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Another thing.
      My email is in my profile.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Thanks, techie. I am 51, will be 52 in September. I do have a lot of SS information already printed off and ready to go. I like to ber proactive and organized, and so I think I'm ok there.

I am very blessed to have an encouraging husband. He picked me up from work and he knows my panic attacks when he sees them. I went through all this with him, and when I said "what if I start the Betaseron and don't have the side effects I think I will?" He said "then you're that much ahead of the game!" He really made me feel better, and told me that I didn't need to be "crippled" to believe that it's time to stop working.

I hate having this much anxiety.
        Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
        Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
        dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

It might be worth while for you to check how your state ranks for denied SSDI claims. Some states deny far more SSDI claims than other states. I believe the higher denial rate is related to those states with (decades?) long-standing higher rates of unemployment, not as much related to recent high unemployment since the economic downturn.

It may bring you some peace of mind to hire a SSDI attorney to represent you, even for your initial claim for SSDI benefits, particularly if your state has a high denial rate. I hired an attorney for my initial claim and did not regret doing so. Attorney fees for SSDI is limited by mandate to 25%? of your benefit award, including any back-pay SSDI benefits owed to you.

It is also important to have your neuro support your decision to stop working.

I hope everything works out and best of luck to you.

Comment

I feel for you. I'm thinking of resigning as well. It's just so scary, and the fear that I will be denied SSDI has kept me hanging on to my job. For now. I just don't know how much longer I can do it. I'm trying to put as much money away as possible, to prepare myself for "the day" that I resign. My situation sounds very similar to yours; my symptoms are worse but I find myself questioning whether they bad enough to qualify as a disability. The stress of my job makes the symptoms worse, and with budget cuts and lay offs, I'm expected to take on more responsibilities. It's just become too much for me and last month my boss told me "there's no accommodation for you." I know one thing for certain; I feel so much better on the rare occasions that I call in sick and give myself a break and stay home to rest. How do we know when it's time to pull the plug on our jobs?

Comment

I went on short term disability and while I was on std my dr said there is a good chance I will not get any better. I started my paperwork after i was on std for 3 months and by the time my std ran out my ssdi was approved. I tried to be organized also because I was affraid of letting my family down. I had more trouble with my ltd than i did with ssdi. Good luck, I hope the best for.

Comment

Apply online, stay on top of your doctor for his/her part.
                Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Generally to to get an LTD disability claim approved favorably your restrictions and limitations prevent you from doing the material duties of your job. To get approved for SSDI same thing except replace your job with any job.

Spend some time on your restrictions and limitations and how they prevent you from working and hopefully you will come to the conclussion that you made the right decision. If not you can hopefully get another job or you could qualify for LTD (own occupation as opposed to the stricterSSDI any occupation rule) and perhaps later get a less stressful job or a parttime job.

Comment

Working...
                  X