Should I apply for SSI/Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I apply for SSI/Disability

I am 54 yrs old and working 40 hrs a week, I have been in the work field for 36 yrs., I had been tested by a neuorologist regarding my cognitive memory and have not done so well. I am considering applying for SSI since my job is in accounting and I have been having some memory issues. Can I apply while I am still at work or do I have to go on short term disability before applying. I really don't want to leave my job but I am finding it harder to work, with the fatigue and memory issues. I don't want to leave until I know I will receive the benefits, won't be able to just live off my husbands salary. Please let me know what I should do. I was dx last Sept and am on Rebif now. I did take a 1 month leave back in Jan 2011 before I found out it was MS, I had vertigo and trouble seeing. One I started on the Rebif my symptoms had not been bad, just the memory and fatigue. Please let me know what I have to do. Do I hire an attorney? Thank you.
    Maggienor

I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you. Diagnosed in 2007, presently taking Tysabri. Worked full time since 1978, I am 52. My memory, math and other cognitive abilities are on a steep decline. My walking is "crooked" and my right leg is weak, I use a cane but not at work (hiding all I can). Fatigue hits me hard between 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM.

I think I should keep trying to tough it out, but I'm scared at what cost to my health? And like you, my income pays certain bills and my husband's pays the rest, so I cannot afford to quit, file for SSDI and then wait for the denials and appeals (probably 1-1/2-2 years) without my income. I'm scared, and I'm sure you are, too. My understanding is you cannot file for SSDI and still be working full time. I called my local MS Society chapter, and they were great. They sent me information for myself, as well as for my doctor. I recommend you calling and getting the same. Knowledge is power.
    Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
    Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
    dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

My understanding is that you have to be NOT working when applying for ssdi. SSDI determines if you can do any work you have done in the past 15yrs. I just went thru the process myself and thats what I was told. For best results, you should probably call your local ss office, I did that first and got alot of information. You could also call a disability lawyer for a free consultation.

Comment

Thank you for your responses

I have an appt with my neuro next month and will discuss this with him as well as calling SS to get more infor.
        I'm just hanging in there and trying my best which is all anybody can do! I will let you know the outcome.
        Good Luck to all!
        Maggienor

Comment

You do not have to be not doing any work, but it will make it easier. Just being tired is not considered disabled, they expect all to be tired. If you can go on Short Term Disability that can carry you over to SSDI. The best thing would be to get a Lawyer, Rich on the SSDI Board takes Clients from anywhere.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I went on FMLA Family and Medical Leave Act.

Comment

Wondering the same

I am also 54 and been at the same company for 25 years my problem is walking and Im so afraid of falling...i can sit, but when i go to get up the goin is tough and takes me forever to get from one place to another..so im wonderin if short term dis is the first step???
              gail

Comment

I was told you have to work 24 hrs or less a week and make $1000.00 or less a month from ALLSUP.

Comment

Working...
                X