Just Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Diagnosed

I am a middle school English teacher who was just diagnosed. I have two meds from which to choose, Copaxone and Rebif. Which one is better? I am so unsure. I told my administration about my diagnosis and they told me to contact the Office of Risk Management for support. Any ideas on what they can provide? I have trouble writing and typing. I will be fine one second, then the next it's like getting over a speed bump. I also have dizziness. ANy info would be greatly appreciated.

I have been on both medications in the past starting with Copaxone. Should mention I am a special education teacher for grades 3-5. Copaxone helped initially with controlling the relapses but eventually stopped. Because I was still having flareups on the medication my doctor and I decided that changing my medication was necessary. We decided to try Rebif which worked well for many years. My flare-ups were greatly reduced on it and I was feeling okay. Last year I began having more difficulty finding myself with a greater disability level. Also, my skin was breaking down from the Rebif leaving me with large welts. Due to more lesion activity and skin issues I agreed to try Gilenya in July of this year and have not looked back.
    With MS it is so hard to tell which works better for a person. Everyone is different and finding what works is a trial and error almost. All treatments have both pro's and con's. They way I look at it is if the pro's clearly outweigh the con's that is the direction I must go. The biggest con is sometimes no benefit.
    Speak with your doctor and make a life of pro's and con's which include side effects and fit your life style.

Comment

I am also a middle school teacher, but I was diagnosed back in 1998. Just wondering why you only have the choice between Copaxone and Rebif (not my business, I understand, just curious- feel free not to answer). There are more medication options than that. Since my diagnosis, I have taken Avonex, Betaseron, and Rebif. I have been in remission since 2003 and hope to stay there.

Good luck choosing a medication!

Comment

THANKS FOR THE INFO. MY DOCTOR SAID HE IS NOT GIVING THE PILL RIGHT NOW BECAUSE SOMEONE DIED RIGHT AFTER TAKING IT, SO HE SAID BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. WE THINK WE CAUGHT IT EARLY AND HE SAID HE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THESE TWO MEDS.

Comment

Five years ago when I was diagnosed in my late fifties, I chose Copaxone because I did not want to deal with every other day flu symptoms, and Copaxone was said to be free of that side effect.

I think that is why most people choose Copaxone over any of the interferons.

I read the fine print; I knew the risks. Despite the disclaimers, it did increase my depression, which did increase my fatigue, which did increase my short term memory deficits, which did end my career two years earlier than I had planned.

I am not taking any DMD right now. I wish I had stopped earlier; I might still be in the classroom.

Monitor your reactions. If you agree to take it, take it correctly, but set a time limit for "trying" it. If you sense any increase in those "not very often" side effects, stop.

I am not a doctor, nor a nurse. I am a teacher, and I feel better now without meds. I'm sharing my experience and observations, as good teachers do. I wish I knew then that I could have, probably ought to have, said no thank you.
          First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
          Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

I thank you all for your responses. I will monitor my progress carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X