I used to be a nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be a nurse

I used to be a nurse. Stay at home mom now. Physically and mentally feel unable to work right now.

Son (10 year old) is bipolar and a handful too so that isn't helping.

Wish sometimes I still was a nurse. Glad my husband has a job which allows me to stay home though. Financially though sometimes we could use another income...

Julie

I used to be a nurse too. I loved it and miss it alot. Sometimes I even have a dream that I am at work nursing again, sadly that will never happen
    So sorry for the extra stress you have at home.

Comment

Hey as far as I'm concerned once a nurse always a nurse you just aren't getting paid for that role now.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

you dear person

you are not only still a nurse you are a mom a housekeeper,cook,and maid. You're not getting paid for any of those jobs either!lol

Comment

There are many "nurse" jobs that are desk jobs. I have done Workman's Compensation claims and also worked for insurance companies, and my last job was for the State doing Medicaid audits - title was clinical auditor. We reviewed claims for medical necessity and the level of service billed vs. what was documented.

I am no longer working now because the State ran out of money (balanced budget state).

Maybe you can go back to a more sedentary nursing job, even outpatient areas where people are ambulatory and there is less lifting and running involved. Keep positive!

Comment

I hear you. I so wish I was still working as a nurse. I still am a nurse. I will always be that. But, I know that physically I could not do my job any more. Still the knowledge that we learn, is still there. I am grateful for the years I was able to work and to help our family financially. Now, both of us are disabled and life goes on. Enjoy the time you get with your family and remember all the hard work you did to get there.
            This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Student Nurse

I'm in the middle of nursing school and was just diagnosed with MS this summer. I'm scared about how this may affect my carreer but I'm not going to let it stop me now!! Yeah I'm way more tired than the others but thats the hand I've been dealt. Its not wrong to try??

Comment

I am a nurse but can no longer work due to ms and autonomic dysfunction. I miss it so much and also we could use the money in this economy like everyone else but know I can't do it even a desk job wouldn't work for me due to cognitive issues and syncope etc. so I am thinking I have to move on to the next era of my life. Not sure what that is yet but know the nurse in me will always be there.

Comment

We need to just be there for each other. It is rough not doing what we love and probably were very good at. It was more then a job to me. I do miss it but have turned that caring role into one that now visits and cares for those that are home bound. Just going by and giving a visit and a little cheer when I can.
                  This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

me too

I get it! I was a nurse for 10 yrs! Good thing is I still get to talk to a lot of doctorsLOL!

Comment

was a nurse anesthetist

was a nurse anesthetist until got 'early retirement' thanks to the MonSter. loved my job- when people asked what I did for a living I'd say "pass gas and stick enormously large needles into people for a living.

spent over 30 years in critical care of various jobs-open heart icu, er, helicopter flight nurse, the finally grad school and anesthesia. loved them all. (except that awful four letter word- C-A-L-L). towards the end, couldn't figure out why those 24 hr call shifts were getting so hard- now we know. what really makes me mad- spent quite a lot of $ for grad school- and after 30 years we get something called 'intuition'. not something that can be taught- it's something learned from many years of working with critically ill patients.

the accumulation of knowledge and intuition is now relatively useless. loved to teach- but the fatigue is overwhelming. taught the regional lecture, as well as the neuro-anesthesia lecture. was the clinical coordinator for the anesthesia residents when they came through.

so I miss my job, miss the commaradarie, and most of all use of the stuff crammed into my head

Comment

I have been a nurse for 12 years and would cry tears of joy if i could quit. I would not miss nursing. it is contributing to the ms,it is depressing,i do not care about others health anymore,only my own,and i feel we are underpaid and treated like dogs. i am baffled that you guys could miss nursing? i feel as a nurse with ms,the government should give me ssdi today! i feel we as nurses,teachers,cops,etc....if we get sick,ssdi today!

Comment

Julie, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. The last few weeks/months I worked were very bad. I would not have made my shifts but for the help of co-workers. I knew there were days I felt worse than the patients. I had 2 patient complaints, 1. refused to give a dialysis patient Coke. 2.family member complained that when I tidied the room I did not pick up soiled tissues under the bed. Head nurse did not defend me either time. I went out on a sour note, but was too sick to work anyway. If you're planning to quit have a plan and financial back-up. I've been off 23 mths still no SSDI. Exhausted all savings and sold some property to survive as for the first year my private disability was not paying. I think it's harder for nurses to get because lay people think we just administer meds and talk on the phone. Good luck to you and take care of yourself first.

Comment

i so agree with billiejean. i was a practicing RN for 36 yrs and the last 10 yrs. i hated it. for every step the profession went forward it seemed to go 3 steps backward. i loved nursing in the 70's and 80's when it was truly nursing. sometime in the 90's nursing became just a job. so when MS made it's presence known and i could no loger work i was elated. i haven't looked back since then.

Comment

Working...
                            X