Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to tell them all my business???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to tell them all my business???

ok I have a real potential job since my MS diagnosis and now I am wondering if in the interview I need to tell them about my MS? I know they can't discriminate but really......deep down....really I don't want to...on the outside I look great. it isn't like I am going walk in and say "Hi my name is Heidi" and hand them my MRI lol

However....I am taking Tysabri and I have to have 1 day off a month to take the medication......so I would need 1 day a month (but I will have sick time for that)

Help, this would be the 1st time for that and wish me luck

Unless you are requesting an accommodation under the ADA, you don't have to tell them anything.

I did not disclose anything about having MS for many years. I passed off my limp due to spasticity as "nerve damage". That's exactly what it is, I just didn't share the cause.

For four years, I took a half day off once a month for Tysabri. I described it as "shots" for my nerve damage.

I just did not want to deal with people making assumptions about my abilities, either physical or mental, based on my MS diagnosis.

Comment

I have to pass physicals when I start a new job but it is very basic. If I am going to be getting health benefits from the company I disclose MS on the physical exam forms but no where else. I don't want to risk losing my benefits or my job for lying on those forms.

I also always wait until I have a written job offer before I have scheduled the physical or disclosed the MS. So far as far as I know there has not been a breech in my confidentiality from employee health.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I didn't tell my new employer when I was hired 1.5 yrs ago. Doesn't affect my ability to do my job so they don't need to know.
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Thank you, this is a desk job so it will not interfere with my job (maybe the memory part but that is what sticky notes are for)

Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
          X