Retired RN as a Caregiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retired RN as a Caregiver

Hi, I am a Retired RN (not by choice) who is caring for my Mother who is on Home Hospice. They say how great I look, but I am tired to the bone, on Tysabri, and need a break. I feel selfish, and local family (I am an only child but have cousins nearby) do not get that I am suffering. They simply will not call or even say hello.
    What the heck do I say to them? Or should I just keep my mouth shut and give up?

Thanks

Doesn't Hospice have some kind of respite service for people in your situation? I understand your position - I am primary caregiver for my 91 year old Dad. My background is in pharmacy, not all that helpful. I am also a woman with MS and caregiving, even though Dad isn't excessively needy, is physically and emotionally exhausting. Research all available avenues, even just a few hours here and there is helpful.

Comment

Definitely get some respite care to give yourself a break. In many cases it is covered by insurance if not it might be worth paying for yourself even if just for a weekend to rest and replenish. My heart goes out to you.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Thanks All

I am trying to get Respite, but it is taking a while for an opening. Plus it will be struggle to get my Mom to go.
        It has been in the past, and Lord knows I don't like the guilt!! I am still going to do it, I just hate doing it.

Wendy

Comment

Is your Mom too ill to just have someone come to your home for a few hours? My Dad is medically pretty simple so I'm cultivating trusted friends (but they seem to be few and far between) to come stay with Dad occasionally. No real success but I haven't reached my wit's end quite yet. Thank God for small favors!

Comment

Thanks All

I have been unable to find any locals to stay with Mom. I have been very isolated and family in town won't even call or visit. They are too busy or having their own problems. I am going to call MSAA to see if they can help, as I think I am on the verge of relapse.

Comment

Working...
            X