Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about SSDI paper questionnaire

Hi everyone
    So, I'm currently working on the questionnaire for my SSI application. Writing down a detailed list of every aspect of your life that has changed negatively is a depressing task I have to say. I've been staring at the paper for a while trying to distance myself from it... fill it out like its someone else. heh.

So as I do this, and I know this sounds silly, I'm wondering if things like typing your application in a separate file can be bad, too much detail is bad or too little detail is bad? I read some things online and I'm just confused about these sorts of details. If I type the answers in on a separate sheet and include it with the application will that invalidate the application? I've been having a bad few days and my handwriting is atrocious.

Also, I've switched neurologists recently (after applying initially to SSI) do I mention that? I know I have to get them to add him sense he is the one that actually ran the appropriate tests finally.

Any advice would be incredibly helpful.

thanks
    "I never sleep on planes. I don't want to get incepted"

Some people do type the application and add extra sheets to explain in detail all answers. My friend said her application was about 20 pages long with minute details about the very best days and the very worse days.

My own application was lean by comparison. I answered the questions in concise form. For instance: Who styles your hair? my answer: no one. I cut off all my hair in pixie style and let it go grey.

I cannot help but think that if I were a casemanager with X number of applications to look at each day. I would appreciate the shorter ones.

Comment

I was one of the people who typed their forms. My handwriting has never been great and now days it is horrible so being able to type was paramount for me. Typing will not invalidate your form; just make sure to reference the questions and attachments.

I searched the web and found forms that I could fill in and save to my computer. Some of the fields on the form did not have enough space for me so would type see attached and what page to see to refer to, on the attachment I repeated the questions. My form and attachment were 16 pages in total.

My doctor advised me to describe my worst day. When answering the questions I took the approach of saying things like “some day I …. “other days I….

I was a little worried about the amount of detail but when I spoke to the rep handling my claim at Social Security she said she really appreciated the level of detail that I provided.

I heard some people say they had minimal information and others who were like me and wrote a mini-novel. Ultimately it is what is in your medical records that will tip the scales so work with your doctors to ensure all bases are covered there.

As for your new neurologist, you need to let the person handling your claim know so they can request your latest medical records.

Whichever way you decide to go be sure you keep a copy, SSA is known for losing thing.

Comment

I have not had to do this form yet. Just the Adult Disability and Work History form. Does this form come later on?

I have to do about 30 pages for my LTD and they do not have an online version and I too have hand issues. So I will have to dictate it to my mom or something.
        Melissa Goerke
        [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. i'm going with the typing and some pretty good detail but trying not to over do it.

I really appreciate all these comments. Im so nervous about the whole situation.

Did anyone else find writing all this down a bit depressing? heh.
          "I never sleep on planes. I don't want to get incepted"

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by Panegyric View Post
            Did anyone else find writing all this down a bit depressing? heh.
            I have had to keep a log to give to my doctors. Yes, that is depressing. I know when the time comes to fill out the forms it will be depressing. Keep your head up. All is well, just breathe. That is my mantra.
            Momma to 3 little ones

Comment

Working...
            X