burnt out nurse with ms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burnt out nurse with ms.

It's bad guys. Bad. Nursing is sucking the life out of me,it's taking my health,I don't want to do it,or rather do it maybe 2x's weekly,but need that insurance. Let me also add,I was dx with ms june 2009,2 months later,my best friend,my mother,dx with multiple myeloma out of nowhere and died 3 weeks to the day of dx. After she took that last breath,I literally walked out of her hospice room,got in my car,drove 2 hours back to the beach where i live,went back to work a week later,and the only time off has been for flare-ups.! I took more time off before my mom died??? 6months after she died,thats when i reaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly started feeling ms. I was a distance runner..thats gone.....I know i hae delayed/complicated grief,for "the mom" and the ms dx,but what can I do? I have no savings,and let me tell ya,I do not live beyond my means,Ie kinda lost my mind? And to put that happy face on,fight that stupid fatigue,I am taking over my rx dose of nuvigil,and I am to ashamed to tell me neuro..she thinks i am this tuff chick,that is pushing threw,blah blah blah. needed to vent. And i thank you 4 listening and need to hear your suggestions.

I'm in health care although not a nurse. I've seen a couple of ways people deal with chronic illness in health care. Make sure you fill out family leave paperwork. You can also have your doc limit your hours or days you work. I have a horrible time with the 12 hour shifts so I cut down to 8. You could also go part-time and pick up extra shifts when you need them. Another option I've seen on this site is the nurses who telecommute. That may be an option for a change. Health care is long, hard, and physical. I hope you are feeling better soon and find a solution.

Comment

With FMLA you are allowed up to 14 weeks off per calendar year. Of course that is time off without pay but your insurance would still be in effect. Consider asking for 8 hour shifts, work night shift for a less busy shift or weekends when everything slows down.
      I hear your pain and wish you the best.

Comment

So Sorry, Hon

You have been through a lot and deserve to vent. I agree it would not hurt to take some FMLA time. You certainly need some rest. Have they checked your vitamin levels? You may also need some B-12 and D. I would also go to your Neuro and be totally honest. Maybe you would qualify for Short Term disability. It pays 60% but still better than nothing!!

Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by wendy18 View Post
          You have been through a lot and deserve to vent. I agree it would not hurt to take some FMLA time. You certainly need some rest. Have they checked your vitamin levels? You may also need some B-12 and D. I would also go to your Neuro and be totally honest. Maybe you would qualify for Short Term disability. It pays 60% but still better than nothing!!

Wendy
          But do you think she would qualify for short term disability insurance having a diagnosis of MS?

Comment

Working...
          X