Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help! im only 31 and am going to need ss/disability!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! im only 31 and am going to need ss/disability!

I need some direction. I am a 31 year old young lady who was diagnosed with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis in 2005. I improved after the initial onset and was strong and somewhat normal so I kept on working. I am a sanitation worker for new york city. I drive a garbage truck and pick up garbage. My condition is currently progressing and I am scared and do not know what to do as I am so young but have built a “life” for myself but seems like I am going to lose my job and income. I am still on the company’s payroll as I recently was hospitalized (for three days) due to an ms exacerbation and called out sick the next morning. My questions to you is what do I have available to me as far as income and medical/ dental benefits and is my age a factor? Do I need a lawyer and what kind? I have calculated all of my bills and I need a total of 2000 after taxes a month to pay everything. Help. I dont know where to begin.

Does your job offer Short Term and/or Long Term Disability?

If so, you might want to go see your doc and tell him or her exactly how you can no longer work. That will build a paper trail and a history for stepping into disability.

If you do have those benefits and they then run out, then is when you need to decide if you really cannot work. If so, then call (not exactly sure who - HR at work?, doctor?).

I had to do this very situation and I also was in my early 30's. It is a life changing decision, but can be done.

If you are married and able, you can get on your spouse's insurance. If not, Medicare might be your option (I don't know any other company who will accept someone with our pre-existing condition).
    I have a modest policy with a company through them. Dental is included in my policy, but it is minimal. More inclusive plans exist. You can contact Social Security and they can help you choose a plan you can afford (They helped me and are not setting out to make a profit. Advice will be in your best interest).

You don't have to get a lawyer the first time you apply. I was denied numerous times (my issues are cognitive, pain, fatigue) because I seemed healthy. I had to finally get a lawyer, who was well worth the $$$.

There will be no pay in between the time benefits ending and SS, so have a way to exist without any of your own income.
    It is tough but it will be alright. I'm sorry, but remember you are not alone here.

Comment

Can you apply for FMLA? That would at least buy you some time at your job. So you have any short or long term disability benefits?

I wonder if there are easier duties that you could do to keep working. From what I hear SSDI doesn't pay much so my thought would be to stay with your job as long as you possibly can.

I'm sure others will write in with first hand information to help and wanted to say that I'm sorry this is happening to you. For such a young person it sounds like you really had it together. I hate MS.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Applying for FMLA is a good idea in the meantime. It's Federal Law that your employer has to honor if you qualify. I qualified for FMLA with my MS sx's - but you need your doctor to be able to confirm your dx and inability to work due to your MS related sx's.

Also, you can apply for Short Term State Disability - even if your employer offers their own disability benefits - they may say you HAVE to also apply for State Disability. That's what my employer did. But you can apply for State Disability regardless. Even if you can work part time - you still may be eligible to receive disability benefits. You can call them - I did and they were actually very helpful.

In any case - before you apply for FMLA or Disability, you need to make sure your treating physician will provide the necessary confirmation of your medical condition and your inability to work - whether it be intermittent or for longer periods of solid time.

FMLA is really good for intermittent issues and can even be used for a couple hours a day - depending on how your doctors advises of your needs.

Also, based on ADA laws, your employer needs to provide reasonable accomdations based on your disability. MS limitations qualify as a disability and are protected under the ADA laws.

So you do have a few options while you are working to help protect your time out and job. I would call the US Dept of Labor - they can help you with information about FMLA & ADA laws, qualifications, etc. and I would also call your state disability office for add'l information. As well as check with your company to see what kind of benefits they may offer.

Comment

Being a Sanitation Driver/Worker, there most likely isn't any ADA Accommodation that can be done, it is a hard, physical job. With it being a City job I would expect you to have good disability benefits. A lawyer may be the best thing for you, there is no upfront cost to you.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

thanks for all the advice. i wonder do you still get paid with the fmla thing?

Comment

FMLA isn't like extra paid sick time that other workers don't get. It's a program that preserves a worker's job; the trade-off is that the leave is not paid. http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

Comment

grace

i wonder do you still get paid with the fmla thing?
                I used sick time pay whenever I went on FMLA. I had alot of unused sick time accumulated over the years.

Take care,
                KoKo
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                X