breaking the toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breaking the toilet

Has anyone gotten a stainless steal toilet?

I have landed hard on my porcelain toilet and have broke it twice now and that is getting expensive so I was looking at a stainless steel one but they are not cheap either. I need one that is gravity flush but the one I have found is 2600 dollars.

Or does anyone have a different solution? I put a commode frame on the toilet now but the legs of the commode get in my way wen I stand and transfer but it takes the bang now when I loose my balance and land hard.

Sorry- had to chuckle when you said $2,600 for a stainless steel toilet! I thought for that price it was made of GOLD-he-he!

I can relate to the feeling of "falling into or on the toilet" though. I have "landed sideways" afew times and also went down harder than normal as I lost my balance or was just in a hurry!!

Do they make a commode frame without the legs, so you would have plenty of room? Maybe that's something to check out. Just a seat type frame?? Good luck, hope you find a solution!

Comment

one would think for that price we should be able to find gold somewhere on it.

I think I need legs to absorb the shock of me landing instead of the toilet

Comment

Hi Milhous:
        If you can give up your requirement for your toilet being gravity flush, an ADA-compliant stainless steel toilet can be obtained for about half the price of the one you mentioned.

Comment

Is it possible to put a grab bar on a wall by it for easier up and down?

Comment

I have grab bars it happens when I am pulling up my pants that I lose my ability to stay standing.

Our plumber says that we need to stay with gravity flush, something about the water pressure here is not enough-- we live in the country and are the last on the water line as we have a rural water system.

thanks for the replies so far
            I did find a place in china that I am emailing about this and we are talking around 500 dollars but my husband is reluctant to go there as he would like to see a US distributor as I told him they many probably originate in Asia already

Comment

All Hail: The Porcelain Godess...

Reading your post just got me to thinking about how much of my life revolves around toileting, though this subject is seldom discussed! I am fortunate I can still go for myself, as I have seen how toileting/catheters can become the focus of your life when you are very sick, so my right to go to the potty is something I plan to try to hold onto for as long as I can. Right now I am looking for a toilet the flushes everything...like when your in a commercial building, as no one can seem go "two's" without needing a plunger which is really a "pain in the butt", so I, too, am in the market for a strong toilet at affordable price!
              Tawanda

Comment

Since all toilets in Jail are Stainless, maybe ask a Plumber what they think, best if it is a friend, get better information.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Somebody mentioned grab bars, but they actually make safety rails for toilets. they allow you to control your seating (if you're able to use your arms.). You can google rails for toilets and come up with several websites that sell them...they're not expensive.

also wanted to mention...do you have one of the higher standing ceramic toilets? We found those much sturdier than the standard toilets.

Comment

I know someone has already mentionedover toilet seats and you have tried one but there are many different types - an OT may help you find something that is suitable. At the kind of prices you have mentioned for a stainless steel throne, itmay even be worthwhile having them help design something for your situation. but the idea of checking to see if the sources that supply prisions etc may be cheaper is a great one, i can't imagine the government pay $2600 per potty!!

Comment

my problem was using one hand to pull up my pants and only having one hand on the bars and I would then plop down sometimes rather hard when I lost my balance or my knee gave out for me.

OT suggestion is to get a commode or a toilet and just do slide transfers which is OK but I have trouble doing this all by myself. First of all getting the pants pulled down enough when I have to go is somewhat of a difficult task to get done and not have wet pants. then 2 if they are wet and I try to change it by my self the arms of the commode get in the way besides trying to get something up when you can only go side to side is a tiring task in itself. (as I bend my leg and put it on the opposite knee and put on that side and switch to the other leg to get the other side on)

I guess I am reluctant to give up my standing and transferring as otherwise I am W/C bound and that standing is good for me and my bones.

Comment

Working...
                      X