Computer for MS sufferer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer for MS sufferer

Hello MS World, I need your experience and expertise: My 78-years-old grandmother has suffered with MS for a long while now, is wheelchair bound and unable to do much without help other than watching TV and listening to radio. It occurred to me that if she had a computer she would be able to read, watch, listen and enrich herself if only it were accessible to her.

I'd like to build her a simple computer that would let her browse home pages, watch Hulu and Youtube, listen to NPR, read e-mail, and other click-able things. She faces some unique challenges, so there are a number of things preventing her from using a normal desktop computer.

She has little/no strength in her right side, leg and arm, so a keyboard system would be very tedious for her. She could possibly operate a left-hand mouse but her motor control in her left side is also affected some - she might not have the fine control (or the eyesight) to navigate a hi-res desktop. Voice control would be difficult, her speech is not well articulated and it is difficult for her to project her voice for long periods of time. A tablet with large icons would be ideal so she could point to what she wants, but she can't hold it up-right while using it.

I want to know your experience with chair mounted systems, touch screens, accessible mice, operating systems, assistance software, anything that I could possibly use to help build this for my Lana. If I can eventually make something she could use I would be grateful. If it could let her play Peggle I'd be thrilled. If she could one day play Portal or Second Life, I'd be overjoyed.

For the sake of science lets just say that money is no object: if you have an idea, please share it and if I can't afford it, maybe I can copy it or come up with a compromise. Or I'll have to work my butt off and buy it, either way. When I say build, I mean I will construct it ground up if possible - I have experience building PCs and can find suitable parts. What I need is the multiple sclerosis perspective on computing.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to meeting you here
    Nick Carter
    (host of Keystrokes, VoiceCorps reading service Columbus OH)

website, etc.

Checkout RJCooper's website....he is very reasonably priced normally.
    The iPad has lots of apps for the challenged also. Several of them free. Tap-to-talk, iConverse, etc. The original should have come down in price significantly. Otter box makes a cover w/built in stand for it which is awesome.
    No mouse necessary. A tap will do it in most instances or a swipe.

If you want more memory or removable memory, check out the Zoom or i can't remember the other one....sorry

Panasonic's Toughbook is a tablet which is virtually indestructible and the most expensive....think thousands.

Comment

she can control the computer with your speaking by using the dragon program
      they have a special now that includes the headset and the program is $75 go to
      https://www.dragonoffer.com/flare/next

Comment

If you need a keyboard with large buttons (not larger print), look at Chester Creek "keys for learning" kinderboard.
        i just had work get me one because my fingers were catching other keys, and I had to proof everything.
        It is large and colorful for kids, but it will work great for me.

Comment

check into msaa (ms association of america). they have some different programs, and they may buy her a computer. good luck.

dave
          http://www.msassociation.org
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I would definitely start your search by visiting with RJCooper. He really knows the computer adaptation game. Seems the ipad would work for her as it has a friendly touchscreen and lots of capability. Screen is only something like 9 inches though so it might be a bit small. Maybe you want to consider some of the tablet PCs for a starting point as well. Same general principle but the 14 inch screen would give a better on screen keyboard size.
            Don

Comment

Working...
            X