Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble putting my hair in a ponytail

Any suggestions?

What kind of ponytail do you have in mind? Are you thinking of one of the tight, round rubber-band types, or will something looser do? How about one of those big hinged hair clips/clasps? The "ponytail" isn't round, but it is pulled back and neatly contained.

Comment

I sometimes have trouble putting a clip in my hair, because of a weak arm and hand. What I do is turn a kleenex box upside down and rest my elbow on it to help get my arm and hand a bit higher. I also do this to help get my earrings on.

Just a thought- would putting some ice on your arm and hand 10 minutes or so before doing your hair help?

Comment

If you just want a ponytail to keep the hair off your face you could lie face down on your bed, pull your hair back and you can hold it loosely with one hand while the other slowly pulls the elastic on, you're laying down so you should be able to take your time and rest if needed.

Or just do what I do. I wear a bandana. I fold in into a triangle tie the two corners together once but tightly and pull it over my head with the larger triangle in my face point up and the ties in the back then pull the triangle by the top point over my hair so it's covering it and tie the knots at the nape of my neck as tight as needed then double knot. You don't need to unknot the knot when you take it off so you can just pull it on and off as needed. Keeps the hair out of my face and hides a bad hair day. Sometimes fixing your hair is just too exhausting.

Comment

for those times I can't do my ponytail or manage a big barrette I wear a headband. It keeps it out of my face and looks fine. Not quite a solution, but an alternative.

If it is impossible to do either, I simply 'go long. My DH helps with the brushing if needed.
          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Can't do it

I like to hear the different ideas.

I need someone to it for me. Headband is the best I can do.

I have a hook for my blow dryer.
            Think of something you would die for, and live for it.

Comment

Some resources

This is my hair dryer stand. It holds the dryer while I move my head to dry my hair with a sound brush. Great energy saver.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Organized-.../dp/B0002TG3FK

I have seen this device but there is bound to be an easier way to make it.

http://www.workshopsolutions.com/COMPLETE/ponytail.htm

Comment

I wear my hair in a side pony tail or a braid most days.My hair is pretty long . Haven't been able to do a high pony tail or back pony tail in years.

Comment

My hair was long, and I wore it up in a twist, with bobby pins. During diagnosis (stress and anxiety) a lot of my hair fell out. My days of thick hair were over. I made a pony tail the day I cut it, intending to donate it to locks for love, as it was long enough, but it was such a thin ponytail I didn't bother.

My other reason for cutting it was that for every MRI I had to take it down and remove the pins ... and I spent a lot of time in a nursing home with my mother that year, and saw the sad arrangements of wispy long hair that the aides had done their best with.

I didn't have any reasons to keep it long, so the decision to cut it short was easy. I have never regretted it. No more arm strain to wash it in the shower. I just towel it dry and go ...
                  First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
                  Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Working...
                  X