Still Searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Searching

I am still trying to find a lift system I can use alone, and some way to handle the sweating in my damn chair.Been trying forever, about ready to give up.

not too sure about the lifter- i vaguely remember being told about someone who had a trck system built into the ceiling of his flat from bed to bathroom etc and he was ablet to wriggle onto the sling and use a hand control to operate the lifter but i think it would be getting into the sling or seat on most lifters that might be a problem alone- have you asked an OT???

when it comes to the sweating the first thing that comes to mind is some of the seat pads that are intended for incontinence- not the disposable ones, they are made of the same stuff the reusuable cloth bed incontinence sheets are made of but are smaller, just right for a single chair- the 2 brands i know of are conni and Kylie- they are small enough to be discreet and this is what i use them for thesedays now that i have a catheter, i only use it on the seat but you could put some tapes or tabs on one so that you could tuck it in or tie it to the back rest (if its a wheelchair you need to protect)- these are not expensive and will not bunch up like a towel will

Comment

thanks for the info re sweat pads. I am working with a company trying to find a sling I can handle. OT PT did not help much.

Comment

I am so disappointed that an OT could not help you. I know that they or PT should be able to help with seating devices and things that make your daily living better.

As for the sweating. I guess you need to try to stay cool. Also have you tried talcum powder, baby powder, something that could absorb perspiration and help cut down on odor?

Just trying to rack my brain to give you some hope.
        This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Hello,
          I just did a search and found a new device called polaris lift that looks like you may be able to use it yourself. It doesn't require a full sling to go under you to get in the way.

My dd used a ceiling lift but it required the sling to be put under her. But the controls were connected to the lightweight lift that hung from the ceiling rail. If this lift called the polaris could be mounted on one of the portable lifts that hang from the ceiling, I believe that you could use it independently. The benifits to the removable lift is that you can put rails in whatever room you need them and just transfer the lift to each room.

This was cost saving for us because the track didn't have to be all through the house. It is just in the rooms we needed like her bedroom and the bathroom. Also our ceiling height was different from room to room and this didn't allow one continuous track to be installed.

With all that said, you would still need help to move the lift because the lift hangs from a strap that has to be connected to the ceiling track. But the lift was very light.

My DD moved to a group home when my health got to bad to care for her. All they had to do was have the track part installed. Now they are also putting in the track for the other residents! They are seeing the benefit of the ceiling lift over a two person transfer. Saving staff's backs are finally important. I hope this helps you!

Comment

if you are able to find one, let us know the details. i`ve been looking, but can`t find any that truly i could operate alone (even though they claim so). as far as the sweating goes, i`m on the other end of the spectrum, cold, cold, cold. good luck.

dave
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

sweating in wheelchair

My hubby uses a sheepskin in his wheelchair.

Comment

Working...
              X