Standing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing machine

I used to be able to briefly stand at a grab bar (with lots of help getting up and down from my wheelchair). Has anyone used some type of standing machine? My legs have gotten much weaker so I'm not even sure I can get back to standing.

I was in the same situation as you and went to physical therapy at a facility a few years back and tried a few options.

Hoyer has a few specifically for standing, but I didn't have the leg strength.

The sling type lifts were ok but didn't work for me, especially with only my wife to assist me at home when they really need two people to coordinate and requires a lot of space.

I ended up with the "Rifton TRAM" since it met my needs the best and is easy to use. This allows transfer to wheelchair, power recliner, bed, shower chair or toilet.

The key was I had a Physical Therapist and a Medical Equipment company rep to assist with evaluation of me and reviewing devices that best fit my needs. I was able to try them out before purchasing.

Comment

A Physical Therapy consult sounds like a good idea. They might be able to assist with ideas.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
      X