will be getting a hospital bed soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will be getting a hospital bed soon

any suggestions on things to look for? has anyone managed to get a bed wider than 36" my last hospital stay my arms touched the bedrails at night. i didn't feel secure at all. when i was evaluated for a wc i was given a very wide one because i am short and wide but i dont know if it is likely with a bed.

i love my current bed but cant get out of it. i have to scoot sideways like a crab to hook my heel over the edge. it can take me 20 minutes to get up and i worry about fire.

Mattress can cause problems

I've had mine for years. Come to think of it, I had to replace my bed this year. so I'm on my second one. Mine has only top rails. It is great for sitting up before transferring to wheelchair.

A topper sounded great but it was too hard to turn over with it.

KK

Comment

i have a king single which is a bit wider (about 6 inches) but mine does not have side rails.
      You can get bariatric beds that are not only increased weight capacity but usually wider too- they are pretty good but of course, as soon as you added the word bariatric to the product the price jumps up quite a bit!

My problem is that once i am on the bed, on my back i find it hard to shift or to roll on my side- when i have been in hospital i have used one side rail as a grab rail to help me move around- i kinda regret not thinking about this before i bought this one. An OT is coming to my place next week to see if a bed pole or even a floor to ceiling pole might work or if its a case of start again

Comment

OT will get you add on for the bed

I only use one of the rails on my bed. Usually I lay with my back against it. I also have a pole to pull up on. Chose not to get the pull up attachment. I only have use of one arm & don't want to put it out of commission pulling my body weight on it.

I bought a topper for my bed that felt great to sleep on BUT I could not move myself in the bed. Had to give that away. Bed sores not needed in my life ever!

Comment

didnt get one yet

my brother was getting info with a local vendor and yes the larger beds cost much more and i have to pay 20%, i think the reason the narrow bed bothered me in the hospital was that i didnt know it was narrow it just felt odd.

was going to go look when cold and snow started then my father died suddenly and my brother worked on making arrangements and massive paperwork for my mother, ins and army retirement stuff. i will try again soon, i cant keep falling trying to get up.

thanks for sharing it is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X