Door opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door opener

Need to get an automatic exterior door opener for my new apt. Can anyone tell me if this is covered under insurance or if the MS Society offers any discount. The ones I am finding are between 250 and 500 dollars

Hi nita:
    Check with your local chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The NMSS sometimes can help by covering some or all of the cost of an assistive device with a grant.

Comment

I am getting one installed and I am going through ATP
      (Assistive technology) which I would think the local MS society would know how to get in contact with them
      They are widening my door and installing the door opener through this program for me.

They have helped me do several things getting my old house W/C accessible.

Comment

The only problem I can see is if the apartment will allow it to be done. Seems kind of stupid, but there are places like that.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

apt hca modifications info

hi, depending on the type of apt/ complex u are living in u have several options.
          presently i have been lobbying for months to get some closet/drawers etc changed to meet my needs. i recvd grant to cover materials. however the apt. complex i live in recieves fed . funding so is covered under their guidelines.
          "reasonable modifications'-for a person in a place that recieives any type of fed. money- the apt owners are resp. for assisting in this project. go to HUD-fair housing info for details.
          can not out and out deny u if they get any fed $'s. even if they prove 'unreasonable burdon (cost wise) then u still would have option to install yourself.

my asstnc and advovcacy is mostly through N.WV Council for Ind. Living.Transition Program.
          they work at identifying ways to help people remain ind. as poss in their own homes/apts w/out being in nursing homes. anything from lift chair, reachers, items for easing pers. care etc. are dealt with.
          one offshoot of this group also provides info info on ADA guidelines, fair housing etc.
          while the 250-500 is a big chunk 4 u- there is surely some help avail thru ms groups, churches, etc.
          God speed in your efforts.
          God's Peace to You from Almost Heaven WV.

Comment

also ask apt mgmt policy after it is installed.

i read on a thread a long time ago that one woman said her apartment had no problem with her installing such a door opener but once it was attached it became a "fixture" and she would have to leave when she moved. i would take that ? all the way up the chain to the property owner.

Comment

Working...
            X