Need a new WC...Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new WC...Suggestions?

Hi all , first time poster on this site. My condition has progressed to the point where I would benefit greatly using a WC. I do have one but it belonged to my grandmother over twenty years ago and I need one that is updated and can be used outdoors. I envision myself participating in events, enjoying paved outdoor paths and able to make my way down the hall with more ease and less pain.

I would really like to hear your suggestions, what companies or catalogs should I go to? Are there wheels that are versatile for inddor and outdoor use?

Thanks!
    Trulie

Wow - Trulie,

I just posed this Q a few weeks ago too! I need one for all the reasons you have. So far, I haven't made up my mind on what to get - either a w/c or scooter. If you do a Search, I think my thread is Recommendations for Wheelchair or something like that.

I know you can get free ones based on income, but my dh's income is over the limit for a free one.

Good luck to both of us!
    Seasha
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Electric wheelchairs and scooters

Hi Seasha,

Just saw your newest post, your H's medical insurance might cover a scooter or chair. If you are eligible ask for a case manager - the process is complex, beyond the ken of those who don't do it regularly.

My answer won't help you decide between a scooter and a wc, I like a scooter for use when I drive anywhere, I recommend one with three wheels and as light as possible. You should be able to get one you can easily fit into your car's trunk, separate the seat from the main body and lift with ease.

I recommend getting one that is as light as possible. If money is not a big issue you might want to look at
      http://www.travelscoot.com/

If you think you'll be taking planes on a regular basis don't get the lithium battery - get the lead gel battery, the former can't be taken on many planes, the latter can be easily gate checked.

I'm using a Sonic Pride scooter, it works, its a bit heavy, but I can put it in my sedan's trunk and take it out by myself. I love being independent.

For use indoors, an electric wheelchair works a lot better than a scooter, I use one indoors in my now very accessible kitchen and when using the recently renovated main bathroom.

I can't recommend any brands, I will say that smaller and lighter is better. All of them can go through batteries in a year or so depending on how you use and recharge them, these will cost about $100 or more.

If you are paying out of pocket take a look at eBay, very frequently you can find bargains - I saw one $40K list wc that went for $250 recently - although you had to go to MD to pick it up. Via eBay I found a Sonic Jazzy WC with new batteries at a local pawn shop, almost new wc's and scooters show up regularly.

Please feel free to email me back channel if I can be of more help.

Comment

I am another one, similar situation.......

My famdoc strongly encourage me, OK he said I NEEDED a powerchair. I went along despite my reservations, giving in, giving up, admitting defeat.

Great Move..... My Doc Rx'd the power chair and I decided to get a scooter (much less expensive) on my own. I also use my P/C around the house and my 3 wheel scooter resides in my car trunk. I just bring the batter in for charging at night when needed.

Ins covered my powerchair 100%, (medicare + medigap). My doc ordered a Pride Jazzy 6 wheel chair and I decided on a GoGo scooter same mfg. Same chargers etc.

Gomer

Comment

Working...
        X