Bedside commode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedside commode

I'll be home by Christmas. But I can't do a stand and pivot onto the toilet now (broken ankle, other leg weak) so I'll have to do straight transfer from bed to commode or from wheelchair to commode.

Kimba22 suggested wearing skirt or gown but no panties so there's nothing to pull down when it's time but does anyone have any additional or alternative suggestions? I'll have a hospital bed btw. And I'll be trained in the bedside commode before I leave this rehab facility but they may only have one approach.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.
    ---------------
    "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

This won't be a top notch solution, nor glamorous, but my husband suggested it recently as I have I continence issues too.

Just a solution for the meantime til commode is set up or getting to restroom is an option...

Warning again , it's not ideal nor pretty but it works as a temporary solution.

Get a large towel, or huge sponge- the big kind you use to wash a car, and have it bedside. When you have to go and cannot get up nor move much, grab either item to soak up the liquid as it comes out.

If you can stand even a little to get off your mattress, this will help too.

This allows me to stand and simply hold either between my legs (Yuk I know) so the only thing getting wet are my bottoms and towel or sponge, absorbing the liquid.

I know this is not brilliant nor desirable, but it has allowed me to keep my bedding dry (oh goodness the energy to clean all that, no way!!). It also helps save soiling my carpet, or flooring if I'm in a diff area of house, where I also have a large towel on standby.

Sometimes the incontinence is so bad I couldn't even reach for a bedpan nor commode if I tried. So temporarily, this has helped so when I feel it coming on, I can 'attempt' to get off of bed and just place the sponge or towel there for absorbing.

I don't always have these issues so my dr and I decided other med tx isn't needed at the moment, but when we have things going on, at least we can remedy them the healthiest way possible.

Hope this helps a lil and maybe get some cute pillow pets to rest your healing leg on too
    There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Thank you Ikaika, that is definitely a low tech alternative 😉

That'd be something I'd keep in mind if all else fails ☺️

I did get training on transferring to the bedside commode today and that would be hard if I still have my 12lb ankle boot on. So we'll see. I did like the demo commode they had for me, so I'd use that one for sure.

Not sure what is going to happen now but I may be here a bit longer now that my complaint has been resolved.
      ---------------

Comment

Be sure to get a commode that has fold down arms. Mine is the same level as my bed and wheelchair so it is a straight level transfer from one to the other. I have put my commode over the toilet in the bathroom so the transfer in there is the same also.

Now wiping the heinie - that is a skill all in it's self!

KK

Comment

Kellygrn

So you stand to drop your pants or whatever? I can't do that right now. Hopefully soon.
          ---------------

Comment

No mam! Diapers & no pants or slacks or skirts. I only wear it if it only touches my shoulders & flows down from there.

KK

Comment

But you still have to stand to get the underwear off? I'm not following. Thanks.
              ---------------

Comment

Diaper is not removed until I am on the commode. I have a supra pubic catheter so urine is usually not an issue but bm are what I use it for.

I put them back on when I make the final transfer to the bed or wheelchair with help from my aide.

Have you checked on youtube? There are a lot of quad videos that can teach you a great deal. Here is one.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWzcIl1SGgw

KK

Comment

Thank you KK,

I'm sorry but I'm not following you on how you get the underwear off when you are on the commode.

Could you please elaborate?

And thanks do much for the link! I will check it out! 😊
                  ---------------

Comment

Once you are safely and securely on the commode, with feet planted on the ground, take the pants off one hip at a time. It will not be a quick as standing & pulling them down both legs at the same time, but it will be done.

Are you getting PT and OT at home when you get there? Your doc can order them to come to your home and get everything in place and teach you how to live as your current condition requires.

Guess this is old hat for me. Been like this for years it seems! Wish you could come stay a day with me.

KK

Comment

Hi RockysMom,

As suggested by kellygrn, you will need to learn how to inch your pants down while shifting your hips from side to side. It isn't as easy as it looks, and takes time and practice to master. It can be very tiring, especially if you have upper body weakness or balance problems.

Your male OT can work with you on this. He'll just have you practice with a pair of pants that are larger than your normal size, so they can be worn over top your regular clothes. Once you go home, the home care OT can also work with you on this.

Here are some YouTube videos that might give you an idea of how you can do your pants:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=077DBnmK1BQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DFgFQYTbPzM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWj8r-z7moo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-b4jSu2aHvk. (The wingman can only be used on a regular commode; you might consider using a barriatic size beside commode to do something similar.)

Good luck!

(btw- are you still planning to go home by Christmas?)
                      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                      X