Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a cane

Hi all!

Hope I am not stepping on any toes as I don't have MS myself, rather a very rare birth defect of the spinal cord (no communities for us!). Coupled with the nerve damage inherent in that, the after effects of multiple surgeries, and bone deformities I am having an increasing number of falls. I'm only 24 but my body just doesn't pop back from falls like it did when I was a kid. I am ok when not tired or sore but if I'm tired, hurting, have fallen recently, or am in a crowed place I fall very easily. I have been reluctant to use any sort of device as I don't need one all the time but I have been thinking about something lately for balance. My question is when/why did you start using a cane or crutch? How much falling do you think is too much before you throw in the towel and get a mobility aid? I really hate falling in public as people think it's ok to pick me up but I really need to sit for a bit and will fall again if they pick me up and then let go. I'm sure people would think it's odd for such a young person to use a cane but I suppose it's also odd to see me walking and my leg suddenly collapse. Anyways any input would be appreciate. I have had about 6 nasty falls the last month and a half and my poor legs are bruised and cut.

Hi and welcome to MSWorld. You are perfectly fine posting here. We are ready willing and able to help many, even if they do not have MS.

Your situation I think can ring close to home for many of us. I started using a cane about 6/7 years ago for balance and stability. I was really reluctant to do this at first, but then I just thought. You know - I need to do what I need to do for me. I just don't care what anyone else thinks!

It comes down to safety for you and just that extra little bit of support to help keep you from falling.

Nice thing is, they have some really cool canes out there now! Lots of colors, patterns, styles and they are not terribly expensive.

Hope this helps a little bit. Stay safe!

Comment

Just a hint from someone who occasionally uses a cane for balance-the ones with a foam covering on the handle eases the prevents achy hands after a long day on the cane!

Comment

Hi Tranzzy and welcome to MSWorld

KitOP
        You are perfectly fine posting here
        I agree

If you are questioning using a mobility aid then it is probably time.

May I suggest Trekking Poles rather than a cane? Trekking Poles come in pairs and you can choose to use one or both. Trekking Poles offer help with balance and stability and walking with them mimic normal walking more than a cane...In my opinion

Plus, at the age of 24 Trekking Poles may be more appealing to you than a cane.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you guys for responding! I hadn't thought about trekking poles. Do they allow you to take them indoors, such as at museums? Trekking pole sounds a bit cooler than cane

Comment

Originally posted by Tranzzy View Post
            Trekking pole sounds a bit cooler than cane
            I agree and I'm older

They also look better than a cane but that's my personal opinion

Do they allow you to take them indoors, such as at museums?
            If you get rubber tips for them they are usable indoors and those same rubber tips work well outdoors as well.

The link below will show you the rubber tips I have on mine:
            http://www.rei.com/product/750119/le...king-tips-pair
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Start with a cane

Hi all!

Hope I am not stepping on any toes as I don't have MS myself, rather a very rare birth defect of the spinal cord (no communities for us!). Coupled with the nerve damage inherent in that, the after effects of multiple surgeries, and bone deformities I am having an increasing number of falls. I'm only 24 but my body just doesn't pop back from falls like it did when I was a kid. I am ok when not tired or sore but if I'm tired, hurting, have fallen recently, or am in a crowed place I fall very easily. I have been reluctant to use any sort of device as I don't need one all the time but I have been thinking about something lately for balance. My question is when/why did you start using a cane or crutch? How much falling do you think is too much before you throw in the towel and get a mobility aid? I really hate falling in public as people think it's ok to pick me up but I really need to sit for a bit and will fall again if they pick me up and then let go. I'm sure people would think it's odd for such a young person to use a cane but I suppose it's also odd to see me walking and my leg suddenly collapse. Anyways any input would be appreciate. I have had about 6 nasty falls the last month and a half and my poor legs are bruised and cut.
              Hi Tranzzy,

Sorry to learn that you are falling frequently and injuring yourself. Having done so and had mini-concussions and bruises I wouldn't want to be without my forearm crutches.

Deciding on using a cane is not easy, but you will find that many people are extremely helpful when you do. From what you've said you should start using one today.

I used a cane for several years after my first MS episode and it worked fairly well.

About 13 years since my first MS symptoms, both balance and foot drop are worse.

On the recommendation of a member of UC San Francisco's prosthesis dept (we met when she fitted me with a Walkaide) I started using a pair of forearm crutches - amazon sells them starting at $40 or so. Try to buy a lightweight pair made from aluminum, the steel ones may cost less but they are heavy.

I find forearm crutches much easier to use than a cane because there is a lot less stress on my wrist. When I'm feeling strong I use one.

If you decide a cane, crutch or trekking pole is right for you, I suggest you make sure that the handle feels right - by this I mean that it both fits your hand and is offset such that your arm is inline with the cane. Beware canes that are L shaped, the Tee shape works better.

I suggest that you first buy an adjustable length cane, failing that read this page
              http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-the...-Walking-Canes

I strongly suggest you get rain tips and install them on your cane or crutches - it is remarkable how slippery many stores, restaurants and public buildings are when they have wet floors - one reason I use a pair of forearm crutches is when one slips, I can stay upright using its mate. There is a men's room in a restaurant that I think is mopped and waxed hourly :-( using it requires caution

If you live in an area where snow and ice are common snow tips with embedded abrasives are available though I wouldn't want to use them on nice wood floors, especially an in-law's.

I've never had anyone object to my cane or crutches.

One small benefit of using canes is that when you get in or out of your car parked in a handicap space, no one glares at you.

Good luck - I hope you have very few falls.

G

Comment

I started out using a diamond willow walking stick. Had a lot of comments about it. After several years started using a cane. Bought a couple different ones with different handles. Been told that using the same cane can cause arthritis or hand pain. I now use forearm crutches, Pt told me I walk straight not leaning to the right with them.

Comment

Originally posted by GardeningMSer View Post
                  Hi Tranzzy,

Sorry to learn that you are falling frequently and injuring yourself. Having done so and had mini-concussions and bruises I wouldn't want to be without my forearm crutches.

Deciding on using a cane is not easy, but you will find that many people are extremely helpful when you do. From what you've said you should start using one today.

I used a cane for several years after my first MS episode and it worked fairly well.

About 13 years since my first MS symptoms, both balance and foot drop are worse.

On the recommendation of a member of UC San Francisco's prosthesis dept (we met when she fitted me with a Walkaide) I started using a pair of forearm crutches - amazon sells them starting at $40 or so. Try to buy a lightweight pair made from aluminum, the steel ones may cost less but they are heavy.

I find forearm crutches much easier to use than a cane because there is a lot less stress on my wrist. When I'm feeling strong I use one.

If you decide a cane, crutch or trekking pole is right for you, I suggest you make sure that the handle feels right - by this I mean that it both fits your hand and is offset such that your arm is inline with the cane. Beware canes that are L shaped, the Tee shape works better.

I suggest that you first buy an adjustable length cane, failing that read this page

I strongly suggest you get rain tips and install them on your cane or crutches - it is remarkable how slippery many stores, restaurants and public buildings are when they have wet floors - one reason I use a pair of forearm crutches is when one slips, I can stay upright using its mate. There is a men's room in a restaurant that I think is mopped and waxed hourly :-( using it requires caution

If you live in an area where snow and ice are common snow tips with embedded abrasives are available though I wouldn't want to use them on nice wood floors, especially an in-law's.

I've never had anyone object to my cane or crutches.

One small benefit of using canes is that when you get in or out of your car parked in a handicap space, no one glares at you.

Good luck - I hope you have very few falls.

G
                  Thank you for your practical tips! We have great weather around here but I hadn't thought about wet/waxed floors! Surprisingly I don't usually get people looking oddly at my use of the parking placard but the other day I did get some guy who sat on his motorcycle, stared me down, and shook his head at me. That is one thing I will use without apology! I'm glad to hear you adapted to the crutches and are avoiding the falls! I'm trying to look at this as a way to increase what I can do rather than another limitation.

Comment

decorate it

I wish I was allowed to post pics on here, and I would show my latest decoration.... I have a LOT of fun with decorating my cane. People ask why, and I tell them if I have to use the stupid thing, it is going to have character.

My previous one was "dressed" for my daughters wedding. (complete with magnetic monkey in wedding dress)

My current one has tinsel, garland, lights ( battery op). People stop their car when I am crossing the road to yell out their appreciation.

ANY FALLING AT ALL is too much for me. I am too busy and want to stay happy. People who criticize with looks are just, well, simple.... hard to ignore, but still simple.
                    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Retractable Cane

Hi Trannzy!

I just started with a cane mainly with the snow and ice in Mich. I got a retractable one and it's the best birthday gift I received from a friend. I have another one with the foam handle that works well indoors when my leg is weak. But....can't tell you how much safer I feel trotting around in the snow and ice.

My best to you and a big warm welcome!!!!

Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                      RRMS
                      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Update

Well I just got my trekking poles a few days ago. They are a nice violet color and surprisingly do add quite a bit of stability even just using one. We shall see how they hold up at the San Diego Zoo this month

Comment

Hi Tranzzy,

Well I just got my trekking poles a few days ago. They are a nice violet color and surprisingly do add quite a bit of stability even just using one. We shall see how they hold up at the San Diego Zoo this month
                          Thanks for updating!

Enjoy the San Diego Zoo and I Hope you find your Trekking Poles helpful.

Take care!
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                          X