Active Cooling System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active Cooling System

My sensitivity to the heat starts when the temperature goes above 65 degrees in the spring, and doesn't end until late October. It has been this way since before I was diagnosed with MS. I have even added a window air conditioner to one room because the central air can't keep it cool enough for me.

After thinking about the product reviews of cooling apparel in the ActiveMSers Gear Guide, I obtained the Cool Shirt portable bag system from Shafer Enterprises in April.
    http://www.coolshirt.net/ms-system.html. Since then I have been wearing and putting it through some shake down tests.

Pros:
    1. The 100% cotton t-shirt is very comfortable and can be worn under a light weight outer shirt.
    2. The cooling temperature can be adjusted doing some basic things like turning the pump on and off or putting in more ice packs or taking some out.
    3. The cooling can last almost indefinitely if you keep a few extra re-freezable ice packs with you.

Cons:
    1. The bag system can get too heavy if you add too much water. You only need at most two quarts of water. You can lower the cooling temperature with more ice packs and then disconnect from the bag and then plug back in when you start to warm up.
    2. I wear the hooded shirt that grabs a lot of attention, but it gives me the opportunity to educate people about MS.
    3. It takes a little extra work, so what is new about MS, but the benefits outweigh the work.

This product is not for the very active mser, but as far as cooling goes, it really is unmatched in what I have experienced with my other cooling vests.
    Chasing the Symptoms...

Any other active cooling users?

Has anyone else used an active cooling system?
    Chasing the Symptoms...

Comment

The CoreControl TM from Avacore which works to cool your core temp by cooling your palms can be very effective, but kind of expensive. What I have found to work for me is to put my hands in cool water for a while, cools palms helping to lower core temp. The water doesn't have to be very cold, just cold tap water, to work for this. This can also work with the feet, to cool off try going barefoot.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

The MSAA has a program to assist with this. You will have to go through their application for assistance paper work, but it is worth it. I live in AZ and I use these products. I place these in the "life saver" category of assistive items.
        http://store.polarsoftice.com/polars...?idCategory=14
        The URL above it the Polar Products that are used within this program.

Hope this helps.
        Medicated for Your Protection

Comment

patch,
          i also use the polar vest. and hat. wristbands, scarf/necktie. they work for me
          asclepius,
          65!!!!! i don`t take off my fleece until 70!!!! where in pa are you? i`m in the nw corner of the state.

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
          X