Medic Alert Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medic Alert Systems

Does anyone subscribe to a medic alert system? Everyone is familiar with the popular tag-line "I've fallen and I can't get up."

But seriously, I am considering subscribing to one as I live alone and have had MS for more than twenty years. Unfortunately, very few family/friends that are still in touch regularly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

I have one that I use when I am home alone. We got it through a local service where we live, but I would highly recommend this.

Falls can happen at any time, I know I need help when it happens to me. If anything just for peace of mind knowing help is just a push on a button away.

They also have watches which could be a good alternative for some.

We had actually gotten one for my Father also through the VA that didn't cost him anything.

So there are lots of options out there. Check them out, get feedback here and then make the decision that is best for you.

Good Luck!

Comment

I have the Freedom Alert System for Vets...the one Kit talked about for vets. It has two way communication so that they can talk to me in the house or in my yard.

Anyone can buy Freedom Alert...Vets get it free. No activation fees or monthly monitoring fees. If you are not a vet the system costs about $200.

Great thing about Freedom Alert...it's portable...meaning you can travel with it to visit friends and it's waterproof. You can wear it as a necklace, bracelet, or there is a pants clip.

I only turn it on if I am in a flare or not feeling well.

I highly recommend it.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Alert System

I would recommend that you check out the Great Call 5 Star Responder device. It is available at Amazon and Walmart and I'm sure at other sites. The transmitter is available for $40 and the monthly service fee is $15. The advantage of this system is that it GPS enabled. That means you can use it anywhere not just in your home. You can also talk to the emergency responder when they answer your alert.I am going to upgrade to this system shortly. The reviews are excellent. I currently have an alert system through a local hospital. It only works from my home and it costs $40 per month.

Comment

Katie how do you get that system for free, my VA cut off all similar systems as they were paying a high rate of false alarm charges.
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
            Katie how do you get that system for free, my VA cut off all similar systems as they were paying a high rate of false alarm charges.
            Scooter

It's Freedom Alert by Logic Mark. You can buy one as a civilian from Amazon for about $200. I am certain the VA gets a tremendous discount...got a Magnet for my refridge that says "LogicMark Supporting Those who Served". Who knows...they may get it for free. But bottomline...I did not pay anything.

My VA told me they were getting a system set up for me during that horrendous flare I had last year. Two weeks later it arrived in the mail already programmed.

No monitoring fees attached to this system. I actually set it off by accident the first day I went for TY...it was no big deal and no fees issued. Mine is disconnected unless I am in a flare or starting a new med.

Maybe your VA can check into this.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X