Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody have a Baclofen pump?

Originally posted by Aqua10 View Post
    My spasticity is increasing very rapidly. The neuro tried Baclofen and Tizanidine, but they both put me to sleep--and I mean that I was falling asleep while driving, VERY alarming. They didn't even seem to do much to help, either, at least not at the dosages I was willing to take.

But the doc said a Baclofen pump into my spine wouldn't send the meds into my brain as much as pills and therefore less sleep-inducing. Here's my question: what is it like? does it stick out, is it external or internal? what are the benefits/problems? I don't know whether I should do it or not, so I'd be glad to hear from others about their experiences. Please help, thanks!
    The Doc is right. The med is put right into the spine bypassing the brain. I had the same problem, falling asleep during the day. No problem at all since. The other good thing is your not getting as much Baclofin because it's going right to where you need it, your body doesn't need to break it down. It can take up to a year to get it adjusted.

It's internal, left or right side of the stomach. Depending on your build it might stick out a little. I'm on the slim side and it does stick out. It looks like I have a hockey puck implanted, and that's what I tell folks. I had the Minn. Wild players sign a puck and I had it implanted. They do have two sizes. I have a cousin that has one, a little bigger build and you wouldn't know he has one

You do go in for a trial where they inject Baclofin right into your spine to see how you respond. It takes about 8 hours.
Working...
X