Gloves for WheelChair use???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gloves for WheelChair use???

Well I got a call on April Fools day (of course) that my w/c would be delivered the next day. Naturally I wondered if it was either funny or a April Fools prank.
    After nearly a YEARs wait the VA did come thru and it was no joke. It's nice and more importantly light weight, an issue for me.

Now.. I often see other w/c users using gloves. Anyone here have any suggestions or tips on gloves? What to look for and what to look out for would be appreciated.

Thanx

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot, with a new (Ti-lite) TOY.

Where you buy your gloves matters a lot. If you buy them from a medical supply store you might pay 2-3 times more than Amazon or another online store. The problem online is you can't try them on so you really need to know your hand size and not just 'M' or 'L' since sizes vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. I actually wear a women's large (all black, no bling) because it fit better than the men's sizes.

I really like the Hatch gloves and LiquiCell since they are durable and come in a lot of flavors. During during summer time I actually wear padded fitness gloves (weight training) since they breathe better. I also have a pair of mountain climbing gloves. Other people use cycling, rappelling gloves, mechanics shooting gloves, or any other glove that is comfortable and provides protection.

Cheap mesh or flimsy elastic just won't hold up and you'll spend more money replacing them than if you just buy a good pair from jump. My first criteria would be fit, then grip, then protection and finally styling. When looking at the gloves remember you want something durable because they will take a beating. You will need to decide full-fingered or fingerless gloves. If you go with fingerless make sure they do provide protection for at least half your finger or you'll have blisters. Fingerless does make it easier to pick up things.

Man, I'm still so happy you got your new chair. What model TiLite did you get? My new AeroZ should be here in 2 weeks and I am excited!!!

Comment

Thanks Marco..........
      Not sure of the model, I expect its the LIGHTEST weight model. (paperwork upstairs, will check later). There are no arms or sides on it. Does have flip down push handles. The wheels are black Spinergy w/blue spokes (the rep talked me into going with color spokes, otherwise went for plain as invisible as possible black), w/push button hub/release so they come off and go on easy. 2" cushion and a thinner back cushion.

I never knew or expected there was so much to proper fitting of a w/c! It seems to fit me good. Sure beats the ole clumsy contraption (a used St Vincent DePaul special) I have used for years.

I have a chair, (I use it on the main floor) but can not go anywhere else with it and my old eBay special scooter fits in my car trunk, but its been getting heavy for me to lift in/out too much (even broken down). I spend a fair amount of time in my basement where all my hobbies/activities are, including computer.

Funny thing about getting a new TOY.... When my (non VA) fam doc said it was time for me to start using a chair (following an P/T eval), I nearly broke down after it arrived. I had FEARED becoming TRAPPED in a chair.
      I was told my limited walking was so bad was because I was over-working my legs. She was right and by using a chair part-time, my limited standing/walking is actually better. I had to learn to balance chair use, which can vary.

Sure seems strange going from FEAR to almost joy looking forward to the new chair/tool.

I already made bar that goes across above my legs so I put things in my lap and not have them slide off. I made it out of scrap PVC pipe/fittings. I painted it black (of course) so I will blend in. the paint should be good and dry by late tonight. I also made a small hook like on one end, to better hang say a plastic store bag (w/handles).

Oh, I did get the tires I wanted, SOLID no air needed. I did not want to worry about getting a flat!

GLOVES... being diabetic I have to try and avoid sores as much as possible. Thanks again for the great tips!

Gomer

Comment

Marco...It's and Aero X.

I took my new Ti-lite out for a shakedown cruise today.

Going down my ramp was no problem, going UP... well was an UP-hill. I found it far easier to use my arms going up. (nearly did a back flip getting out my front door)

Me and my aero did fine on todays outing. Good day (not too cold, no rain, snow or ice) to practice & debug using it in public spaces.

I picked up a pair of gloves, Bell pro gel cycling gloves. They should be fine at least as a starter pair. I did try a couple others but I also need to be able to get the gloves on and off w/o too much a-do. I found them at MC sporting goods.

I got a LOL reading the manual, the thing one should never read first... Ha Ha. IN the warnings, which BTW make up a lot of the manual, there is a warning NOT to do wheelies... what is FUNNY is it goes on tells HOW to do a .....Wheely! Sounds like FUN...but with my balance??? (more like lack, there-of).

AnyWho... thanks heaps for the tips, much appreciated.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot, also rolls a lot.

Comment

gomer - I could not be happier for you. Many times we see a wheelchair as a limited factor, but it can restore a level of independence and freedom. Even the heartaches experienced during the prolonged wait only make your present enjoyment that much sweeter. I know you are an inspiration to me and others. Again, I would like to thank you for your duty to this country while in uniform and now without the uniform. Your resilience is remarkable and your spirit unquenchable. Thank you for sharing your incredible story with strangers around the globe. Godspeed ...

Comment

I am not so sure about my resilience???? I know I am suffering from battle fatigue, my personal battles that is.

I miss spoke about using my arms, what I should have said was using my arms on the hand-rails on my ramp instead of trying to go UP pushing the wheels. I found it was easier for me to pull myself UP the ramp via the handrails.

I fought against using a cane, I flatly refused to use a cane when a Dr suggested I should back in the 80s. After falling and tearing up a shoulder in 2006 and got all messed up (my diabetes also got out of control & needing surgery) and my new doc yelled at me, I started following orders, and started using a cane, I was in no shape not to.....

When my fam doc said it was time for me to start using a chair (even part-time) I nearly broke down (well I half broke down), even tho I could barely cross the kitchen. Then I LEARNED, that a chair was NOT a TRAP, but a TOOL that helped me do MORE, not less. If anyone had ever said that one day I would look forward to a good wheel chair, years ago I would have considered them NUTS!

Gomer

Comment

att:MARCO

My Aero X did not come with side boards(??). the wheel was rubbing my pants. I made side boards to match the wheel contour out of hard-board/Masonite. They bolt on and do not interfere with anything, using or folding, and best of all now my pants don't rub the wheels.

Gomer

Comment

I get my gloves fro a local cycling store - they sell a ton of styles and sizes/clors. Mine have a padded palm and thumb zone that works really well for me. They last last longer than gloves made for w/c users. I also discovered they are a lot cheaper in the local bicycle shop (even WalMart will sell some less well made versions). My current pair is from Specialized in hot pink & black.

Hope this helps-
                Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Working...
                X