Wheel chair issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel chair issues

First.. I am a part-time w/c user. I use it part-time every day. I can still walk some but its limited, as I can only be on my feet a limited time before they turn into gumby-stix.

My manual w/c is a old used one I picked up cheap at a St Vincent DePaul years ago. It does not have any cushion and a few other minor things, but its better than nothing. My GP at the VA put in for a w/c for me last summer, had 3 fittings (w/co-pays of course) etc but never even a toy chair...ha ha.

The old beat up chair I have is a bit high off the ground for my short legs, even with no cushion. That said, I have a couple questions..

What about seat cushions? Being diabetic, avoiding sores is important. Price of course is also important.

Second...what about getting smaller main diameter wheels to lower the chair? Would probably also need smaller casters or shorter forks.

I can not afford a new wheel chair that fits, so mods to my second hand thrift store special is my only option at the moment. The VA did have a w/c ramp installed on my home last year, but no w/c. (sad to say, but very typical of the Veterans administration in my state, (the bottom ranked of ALL 50 states in vet care/issues). I do consider myself lucky I do get a MS doc and meds at the VA.

Gomer

Gomer have you tried the Michigan PVA? You can email them at chapterhq@michiganpva.org or call them at (800) 638-6782. The MPVA has a wheelchair program that just might be able to help you.

As for your existing wheelchair, I cannot really give you advice on making a frankenchair. I do know that using the wrong chair my cause additional injuries to your shoulders, arms and back so that's less than ideal. If you tell me what city you are in I can scour non-profits to see if there is anyone besides the MPVA that might be able to help. I'm sorry the VA is failing you and virtually all of our other veterans.

Comment

$20 seat cushion @ Walgreens or CVS

I was surprised, but this $20 seat cushion really helps. I am tall though, and it does make me taller in the chair. For me that helps, because I bought my 1st chair on craigslist in my area.

My legs do get tired because the chair is too short for me. I think there may be an adjustment underneath to make your chair shorter? Of course I forget the add, but the cushion really helps me.

I saw the expensive ones, and I was surprised that this $20 cushion really helps. It is in the car now. If my daughter comes later today, I'll have her bring it inside, and I'll give you the info from the tag.

For some reason, I keep the tags on everything

Comment

Marco...is MPVA a dirty 4 letter word?

The JPVA (JOKE of a PVA) SO is horrible. She said if I did this and that, she would do XYZ. I did everything and she did NOTHING...OK she did do one thing, delayed my SC claim for over a year, so it's still pending in appeal.

I sort of know first hand about poor w/c fit. I was hurting my shoulder hauling my eBay bargain scooter in/out of my car trunk, so that was not fun. I have had to cut back on going out as much, less than half of what I was doing last year, and that has helped my shoulder.

MY back is not so great either, (not MS related) so lifting has limits. I can not sit straight up from bed or exam tables, I have to roll out/off sideways and sometimes need help.

Cushions... I think what I should do is venture out and check out what I can find at DME places to get a better idea of what might sit me best. I do not want, nor can I afford to buy a collection of $20 cushions to find one that I like. I do appreciate your suggestion and what to look for in a cushion.

Marie.. and I thought I was the resident PACK-RAT!

Thanks crew...

Gomer aka Sir falls-a-lot

Comment

Hi Gomer,

What you should look for is a gel-foam wheelchair cushion. I've found that Hudson is the name that's carried at the DME stores located by me. These types of cushions can be found at 2" and 3" thicknesses and are much cheaper on-line than at the DME stores (where a Hudson 2" gel-foam cushion runs around $90-$100). Just google gel-foam wheelchair cushion and make sure if you buy on-line, you get the correct size. 18"x16" would be for a standard width (18 ") w/c.

Best of luck,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks Kimba22.... I can not get out and about right now. I am snowed in, plus even if I were not snowed in, my ankle is giving me trouble, so I am a bit more limited even at home for a spell.

I am going to try and make a couple minor modifications to my ole tank (w/c)

Gomer

Comment

I don't know of any major non-profits for wheelchairs and it's unfortunate the PVA couldn't help you out. I continually need to lower my expectations when dealing with a number of non-profit groups.

Have you ever considered a crowd funding site like "go fund me" for your wheelchair needs? At this point in time the failures of the VA are well-documented and a number of strangers might be willing to help out. I see a number of wheelchair requests that generated several thousand dollars.

Comment

Hey gomer - I was just looking in our Resource Center and came up with the MSAA equipment distribution center. If you scroll down you will see Equipment Distribution.

They list wheelchairs among other things that they will give you at no charge based on your income. There is a number to call, an email, directions to apply for their program and a link to download the application. http://www.mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling/

It's worth a shot, gomer, and another approach to getting your needs met! Good luck
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha... thanks for the link...

While a properly fitted w/C would help a lot, I am not totally without mobility aids. I think I am more TICKED about being sent by my VA doc for w/c fitting for nothing. The VA should be fitting vets and sending them on their way three times expecting something only to be let down when it never comes.

W/C fitting is more involved than I imagined.

Last year I did take advantage of the cooling vest program and its great!

Gomer (thanks)

Comment

just a thought

I am not sure what you have locally available near you, but in my neck of the woods the Legions take care of the local vets' needs like that.

I would suggest contacting your local Legion and seeing if anyone can help you out, maybe someone handy with cars who would be able to re-engineer your current chair.

Comment

Kaitar............ one of my problems, beside fit is it HEAVY! Making mods would most likely make it even heavier.

We have a place just blocks from my house, Disability connections or something like that. I went there years ago to buy a pair of used crutches. I paid (got suckered) almost the price of brand new crutches (not knowing store prices) for some useable but cruddy looking crutches. I got a very nice fairly clean pair of used crutches at U of M property disposal for $5 or $10!

Gomer

Comment

Our experience.........GET the best seat cushion money can buy. Do not hesitate........do not economize. Get the best ROHO air, or the equivalent. If you EVER get a pressure sore on your bottom, they are almost impossible to heal. If they become large.............you're in for a long-term nightmare.

We're sharing 5 years of pain and experience. Ignore this POV at great risk to your LTerm health.

Comment

I don't know how, but I'm going to figure out a way to help

I think of you all a lot. Today I had my electric wheelchair outside. Years ago I planted mugo pines at out prior residence. Those things are HEAVY, but I got them planted.

Today, I saw one tall dandelion in the beaufiful ground cover near the house that my husband cares for. I didn't have my reacher with me, so I reached way over and pulled out that weed. I don't know how I didn't end up IN the ground cover.

I've said this before, but I'm going to sew something that I can keep that reacher with me. It's funny, but why do I always need something that is a little too far away. Maybe the wheelchair just makes everything seem farther away.

Now, I'm in bed resting, so I'll have at least a little strength to help my husband, when he gets home from work.

Comment

Elevators with or without wheelchairs, reasonable priced now

One thing I enjoy now, more than ever shop online. I 'googled' elevators, and was surprised that they do have some reasonably priced, some big enough for a wheelchair.

But my husband is correct, we don't have enough funds for an elevator. Yes, we do have a basement and upstairs. It was funny today, because I asked him if he would put my manual wheelchair, that I used to keep in the car trunk, upstairs.

Boom, that was done in under five minutes. So, If I want to 'hang out' upstairs, I'll have to get on my bottom and use my hands to help me up the steps. I remember how I had the girls go up and down the stairs before they learned to walk. So now when I want to hang out upstairs, hey the manual wheelchair is up there. So, we'll see. I'd better just shut up about the elevator.

Comment

Working...
                            X