Automotive adaptations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automotive adaptations

I'm having a significant progression in my legs and my wife wants me to investigate hand controls.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
    First Symptom: May 2007
    Dx: August 2007

I have hand controls. They are rods that attach to the pedals and come up to the steering wheel area. You pull to accelerate and push to brake. Another driver can just ignore them, they're not in the way.

In my state they have to be installed by a mobility company and the driver has to pass an evaluation and have a few hours of driving lessons with them. That's not a bad thing, they do take a bit of getting used to.

I think the total cost was about $1500, including the evaluation and lessons.

Comment

Hi IceStein - this is a shot in the dark here, but if you are needing financial assistance for buying hand controls, check this out! http://www.drnj.org/atac/?p=314 Disability Rights New Jersey - based in Trenton, NJ. Couldn't be any closer to you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

inquire with your local ms society chapter as they help with the cost of vehicle modifications. hope this helps!

Comment

Please google "halo hand control driving" which is probably the cheapest way out there to get some hand controls. I bookmarked that site last week for if and when I need it.

Good luck!
          J
          Dx RRMS 12/05, RNY Gastric Bypass 12/12, NASH Cirrhosis 12/12, JCV+ 9/13

Copaxone started 12/05, Switched to Rebif 11/07, Tysabri 10/08-9/13, Moved to Tecfidera 12/1/13

Comment

go do it

Without hand controls I wouldn't be driving. I was convinced it was time when I got my foot caught under the brake peddle. Fortunately I was going out of my driveway and didn't hit anything. Cost in Boise ID was about $800. Learning curve was about an hour.

Comment

Working...
            X