Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

service dog? (air travel)

hey ya'll
    I currently have a dog and I want to get him service dog status for air travel.

I spoke with my neuro's office and they said they would fill out whatever paperwork I needed but didn't know what paperwork I would need.

I called the airline and they said just call in advance and service dog would sit by my feet.

I looked at and it seems like a scam to get money.

Any advice is appreciated! Especially if related to air travel.
    Thanks,
    k
    Katie
    dx rrms: 2/12
    copaxone 3/12 - current
    dx pcos 6/13
    gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

if your dog assists you in a specific task(s), such as picking up items you drop, guiding you or providing balance stabilization etc. then you are fine. You simply state the dog is a service animal. The business (i.e. airline) can ask what he does for you but there is no universal tag, papers, license etc for service dogs in the USA. They cannot charge an extra fee for using a service dog onboard either. But - the dog must not cause any issues that interfear with aircraft or flight crew operations.

If you need the guidance jsut visit the govt websites that detail the rules, legal standing & rpotections etc..
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

What airline?

Comment

There are some helpful tips here too. While service dog identification isn't necessary, I think it helps to avoid unnecessary questions.

https://nsarco.com/airlines.html

Comment

katie I think you might have left some things out of your post because a couple of things don't quite make sense.

Originally posted by rainykatie View Post
          hey ya'll I currently have a dog and I want to get him service dog status for air travel.
          Have you trained your dog as a service dog or is your dog just your pet that you want to take on the plane with you? Does your dog have service dog status for anything else? Is there some reason that you want service dog status for air travel but not for anything else?

If you have truly trained your dog as a service dog, that's sufficient for the ADA. A service dog doesn't have to be professionally trained or certified by any agency. But it's important to note that professionally trained service dogs have been trained in a way that owner trained dogs usually are not and that is that they have been trained how to behave in public.

That's important because even though you (might) have trained your dog to perform certain services for you, it you have not also trained your dog how to behave in public, the airline (or anyplace else) can legally remove you and your dog from the premises if the dog misbehaves and poses a danger to anyone. So even dogs allowed by the ADA can be barred or removed from ANYPLACE if it doesn't behave. And that's a risk if you trained your dog yourself. You won't have any protection under the ADA if your dog interferes with anyone.

Have you trained your dog not to pee or poop on the plane or in the airport? If not you probably should not be taking it on a plane.

I spoke with my neuro's office and they said they would fill out whatever paperwork I needed but didn't know what paperwork I would need.
          I think the link given by poster misslux is important here. If your dog is a service dog your neuro might be able to write a letter that will be sufficient backup. But if you are claiming that your dog is an emotional support animal a letter from your neurologist is NOT sufficient. The letter must come from a licensed mental health professional.

I called the airline and they said just call in advance and service dog would sit by my feet. I looked at and it seems like a scam to get money.
          I don't understand. You looked at what? You said you called. What did you look at and what did it say about money? What made you think that what you read is some kind of scam?

You can't be charged an extra fee for bringing a service animal onto a plane. Although if your dog causes any damage I think it would be good manners to pay for it.

Comment

Working...
          X